Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help! Should we cancel the trip??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-should-we-cancel-the-trip-670005/)

Amunah Jan 13th, 2007 03:44 PM

Help! Should we cancel the trip???

We are supposed to be in Kenya in one week. I am concerned that the roads will be impassable. I saw the post about Lewa--we're supposed to be there for a few days. I checked weather.com and it seems that it will be raining almost every day for the next 10 days.

If the roads are passable, is it even worth going? Will the wildlife "hide" due to all the rainfall? It would seem like such a waste to spend so much money and then have to sit in a tent during the entire vacation.

If anyone has experience with rainy safaris, please give us some advice.

kmactravel Jan 13th, 2007 04:28 PM

When I was in Kenya May 06 - during the rainy season, it rained everyday, generally only late in the afternoon for an hour or so. We continued our game drives and saw many animals. Of course, it wasn't as conveniet as if it were not raining, but it stopped while we were out, most days. And while we got stuck several times during that trip, I would not have traded the experience. It was the time I saw four lions sleeping atop an acacia tree, one of the most precious, but unusual sightings everyone had soon. And this, during the rainy season. We saw plenty of animals, Of course I was not in Lewa, but I wouldn't let it stop me. Rain could be all day every day, some days part of the day, no rain everyday, or rain a few minutes each day or sporadic days.....I say GO and have fun. Everything is so green too.

kmactravel Jan 13th, 2007 04:29 PM

ooooops, didn't proff. I meant to say, unusual sightings anyone had SEEN.

atravelynn Jan 13th, 2007 04:34 PM

What is your itinerary? I'd check in with your agent and ask what alternatives are being made. You may have to trade Lewa for elsewhere, but I would not cancel unless the financial consequences to you are very minimal.

sandi Jan 14th, 2007 04:51 AM

Absolutely ask your agent about the alternative to Lewa. Im sure you're not the only travelers heading here or elsewhere in Kenya/Tanzania. The ground outfitters are probably scurrying about looking for options to areas that will be closed or impassable.

kimburu Jan 14th, 2007 09:26 AM

Lots of people have had rainy safaris recently and everyone seems to have had a great time (not just those posting here, but also the people I met during my rainy safari). I would think it highly unlikely you'll be stuck indoors for more than one day, and you certainly won't be restricted to your tent (unless you are doing basic camping?). Lewa is doing the right thing way beyond what most places would do (closing because they cannot offer full service) and I think you'll be extremely unlucky if they decide to open and then can't take their guests out.

The wildlife won't hide. You'll see a little less and it'll be a bit more difficult to see clearly at times but it'll be fine. I would be slightly disappointed if I were you but I certainly wouldn't be cancelling.

But then of course I'm not you. :D

joeyi Jan 14th, 2007 12:46 PM

and to add to kimburu's comments. it will also be very green and lush with lots of wild flowers and no dust.

i would not cancel either, but then again i'm not you.

santharamhari Jan 14th, 2007 07:45 PM

Spend more time in the Mara if you can? and hope that the rains are keeping other visitors away, so that you can have uninterrupted sightings to just a few jeeps.

Hari

drdrake Jan 21st, 2007 07:23 PM

I got back from Kenya one week ago tonight and things began to dry up when I was there keep the trip and have fun

Amunah Feb 13th, 2007 06:24 PM

We took the trip! It rained one afternoon during our game drive at Lewa Downs and we saw a beautiful double rainbow.

It only rained twice in the Mara--both times in the evening and this did not affect any of our game drives. The roads were fine due to some dry weather the week before we arrived.

We were fortunate . . . it was green and, for the most part, dry. :-)

nevermind Feb 13th, 2007 09:06 PM

I'm so glad happy for you that things worked out.

A double rainbow, with Kenya as the pot of gold at the end...

Patty Feb 14th, 2007 10:10 AM

Glad to hear it turned out to be fine. Will you be posting a report or photos? I'd love to hear more about Lewa.

Leely Feb 14th, 2007 10:14 AM

Glad to hear you went and had fun, Amunah.

Photos???

atravelynn Feb 14th, 2007 12:14 PM

When I saw this post topped again, I was hoping you had gone and returned with a good experience.

A double rainbow! Please post more when you are able.