Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Help Please, Very Short Tanzania Safari July 13 to July 17

Help Please, Very Short Tanzania Safari July 13 to July 17

Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Help Please, Very Short Tanzania Safari July 13 to July 17

We are planning to arrive in Dar es Salaam the morning of July 13, 2007 from South Africa. We plan to leave for the USA from Kilimanjaro the night of July 17. I know this is a very short time, but we REALLY want to see the Ngorongoro Cater and the Serengeti, especially a bit of the migration if we are lucky. This is all the time we have so, after reading many great post here, I have this idea:

1.July 13, Fly to a Serengeti airport-Grumeti, Kirawira or Migration Camp or other?? Spend nights July 13 & 14. Best place for a migration viewing middle of July?? I know it is a moving target, but best bet?
2.Drive( or fly?)to Ngorongoro July 15. Spend nights July 15 and 16, Ngorongoro Cater Lodge. Is there better place for night of July 15 or maybe July 16?
3.July 17 drive to Arusha/Kilimanjaro, take a day room until time to go to airport for night flight to US (around 8pm)

Another option would be to do the plan in reverse, fly to Arusha then drive to Ngorongoro on July 13 then drive on to Serengeti and fly back to Arusha July 17 for trip home.

We don't mind the driving, think some might be interesting. How are the roads and driving times say Asurha to Ngorongoro, then to Grumeti, or on to Migration Camp, if this is a good option?

So far I have contacted Roy and Africa Travel Service and they have sent back trips some what like my request.

Roy- either fly to Serengeti Serena Lodge for July 13, 14, & 15. July 16 drive back to Arusha OR July 13 14 fly to Serengeti Serena Lodge and July 15 drive to Migration Camp them fly back to Arusha $1600 to $2100.

ATS- has just sent an out line for my consideration- Fly to Serengeti Grumeti 2 nights, drive Olduvai Camp 1 night (I will want to change this night stop), drive to Ngorongoro Cater Lodge 1 night, drive to Arusha, Cost is in $2000 to $2500 range.

Please, ideas or suggestions before I get back to the operators? I can't change our dates but want to make the best of the time we have. We are planning early because we know this is high season.

Thanks so much!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Just got a reply from CC Africa. Just rates- Grumeti River Camp $630pp and Ngorongoro Crater Lodge $730pp. Said driving camp to camp to far and ends up costing more(?). Said if the lodging rates were OK, they would put together a quote with all flights, transfers and accommodations. Well, they are offerring some or the places I asked about, just have to come up with timing and descide on driving/flying or all flying!.

Suggestions?
Feb 25th, 2006, 01:19 AM

Hi! We have done a 3-day safari in Selous in Feb. 2006 for $320 per person including all meals, beds, and transport to and from Dar to Selous. It was a great safari! See www.afriroots.co.uk for great deals on short safari's!
Feb 25th, 2006, 05:46 AM
sandi

No one knows for certain where the herds will be, but in mid July they can still be in the Western (Kirawira, Mbalageti) or heading north (Migration Camp).

If you fly out to the farthest point, your guide-driver will have to meet you there (for a small fee), or use the guides of the particular camps and a fee to transfer you to other camps or a fee for a flight to get to the Crater on the return, then you need a driver to get you back to Arusha/Kili or a flight from Manyara to Arusha/Kili.

I would drive from Arusha to Ngorongoro for 2-nts at the Serena Lodge or Crater Lodge, if your budget can handle. Then from Ngorongoro drive to Western Serengeti (Kirawira or Mbalageti) for 2-days, then 1-day at Migration Camp. The guide/driver will then drive you to the Klein's airstrip for return flight to Kili and homebound.

This way you have your own guide/driver throughout and should have no mileage limits so daily game drives can take you to wherever game is found.

It's early enough, though prices provided will be those for 2006 ('07 prices won't be available before late summer '06)... but you can lock in your rooms/tents.

What time to you arrive DAR and when is flight to Arusha/Kili to commence the above routing?

Have Roys reprice the above for you.

Search this Thread