Notices

Help please! Port Elizabeth/Addo Elephant

Jul 15th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Help please! Port Elizabeth/Addo Elephant

Looking for some last minute help!

I am ending a three week stay in SA at Kwandwe Private Game Reserve near Grahamstown (Eastern Cape) They cannot accommodate me for my last night of August 4th and I fly out of Cape Town on August 5th. I need something to do/accommodation for August 4th in that area and then I will fly back to CTown Aug 5th and then straight home. Really prefer not to spend in in CT because we will have already have already been there at the start of our journey.

Thinking Addo Elephant National Park???

1. Thoughts?
2. Suggestions for 'higher end' private game reserves we could stay at in this area/park.
3. Suggestions for any other ideas. I do not feel comfortable driving at all unfortunately or would drive back to CT and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks so much.
Jul 16th, 2016, 10:05 AM

Shamwari is definitely high end and is quite close to PE.

http://www.shamwari.com
Jul 17th, 2016, 01:51 PM

We stayed two nights at Addo on our 2012 trip. I'm not sure how you'd do it if you weren't driving yourself, but I would imagine you could arrange transfers to/from and lodgings there. It is very low key compared to the safari activities you will have already experienced. But we enjoyed it, even if we were hit with a cyclone our first night, and unable to leave our "permanent tent" to use the shared bathroom facilities all night long!

You could fly to Capetown and spend your last night in Stellenbosch - which is really not all that far (certainly within easy "transfer" distance) from the airport.
Jul 20th, 2016, 07:45 AM

Hi There,
Shamwari Game Reserve is a fabulous higher-end alternative to Addo Elephant National Park.

If you are looking for a fabulous Big Five experience, whilst enjoying excellent hospitality and luxurious accommodations, you need look no further.
I recently wrote a piece on this exact subject, which can be viewed here -
https://www.southerndestinations.com...-eastern-cape/

Additionally, Shamwari is en route from Kwandwe towards Port Elizabeth; the reserve is roughly 85km from Port Elizabeth airport.

I hope this is of assistance,
Happy Travels,
Debbi - Travel Guru, Southern Destinations

Search this Thread