Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help on Tanzania Camps please (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-on-tanzania-camps-please-530300/)

dreamseeker May 19th, 2005 12:22 PM

Help on Tanzania Camps please

I've heard good stuff about Kusini but it is kind of expensive--Good Earth can't book Olduvai but suggested Migunga Camp. Is it in a good or not so good location for wildlife viewing in January? Other suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

sandi May 20th, 2005 05:15 AM

Migunga Camp is at Lake Manyara. Kusini is in the Southeastern Serengeti, as is the Olduvai Camp (or closeby). Where do you want to be. January - March is good for the SE Serengeti for the wildebeest "calving season" - so how does Lk.Manyara fit with the rest of your itinerary?

dreamseeker May 20th, 2005 06:19 AM

Hi Sandi, The itinerary suggestion from Good Earth (I suggested Kusini)goes from Arusha to Lake Manyara Serena to Kusini to Serengeti Sopa back to Kusini for 2 nights, Ngor. Sopa and back to Arusha. Trying to save a little money, I asked about Olduvai Camp, he said they can't book it and suggested Migunga. Probably be there early to mid Jan.,so ??? Trying to follow an itinerary suggested by you but throw in a night or two of a camp. I also received a quote from ATR that included Olduvai camp and Ronjo fly-camp, any comments on those? Thanks alot, believe it or not, I actually think I know a little bit more than I did just a month ago and I stress little!!!

brandywine May 20th, 2005 06:27 AM

I'm not sure why Nduto lodge has not been suggested for 2 nights for SE Serengeti. That would cut down some of the cost from so many nights at Kusini. Is Ndutu already full or do you have a reason not to stay there? It doesn't seem that helpful to go back to Migunga at Lake Manyara area for 2 nights.
I've only researched Tanzania and haven't been yet, so I'm sure others can help you more, but that's what I think I would try.

sandi May 20th, 2005 06:43 AM

dreamseeker -

That's a lot of back-and-forth.

I certainly can't understand if already stopping at Lk Manyara Serena on your way out, why you'd want to return here for Migunga Camp and then back to the Crater.

You might want to check:

www.kirurumu.com

They have a camp in the Southeast Serengeti, called Serengeti Camp (naturally) that is a semi-permanent camp, open end-Dec/end-Feb. But, there are only 5-tents here, so limited, and the price may be high.

I believe Climbhigh... commented on Ronjo before he left to Tanzania (he's there now), but camp this is located further north in the Serengeti, and not ideal for this time of year.

Unfortunately, there really aren't many choices in the SE or Central Serengeti at moderate prices, except Ndutu which is in demand. Another possibility is mobile camping in the SE and Central areas for 4-5 days. Check out what Good Earth can offer for mobile and prices.

dreamseeker May 20th, 2005 11:06 AM

OK, so it sort of sounds like ATR likes Ronjo because it's theirs?? The agent suggested this is where the big cats are. I wish I had a guide or "map" or something like "Tanzania for Dummies", I have a Lonley Planet book but it only lists lodges, I've no idea where these camps are so I keep asking you guys.How about this--Lake Manyara/Serena to the Crater/Serena or Sopa to Ndutu or some Camp(???) to either Serengeti Sopa or Serengeti Serena (Serena looks kinda of far away on the guide), fly to Arusha from there. Where would Kusini or Olduvai camp fit in, would it be instead of Ndutu or are they in different areas? And here I thought I was getting the hang of this!! Hey, if any of you want advice about Wisconsin Dells I can help with that!! Just kidding of course, but they do have a deer park. Thanks for listening.

dreamseeker May 20th, 2005 11:50 AM

Sorry, me again, the Serengeti Camp sounds good also, would that be instead of Ndutu/Olduvai? Also ATR suggested Gibbs Farm instead of some of the other Ngor. hotels/lodges, any comments on that? Just call me "going crazy in Wisconsin" ( but lovin' it).

sandi May 20th, 2005 11:51 AM

dreamseeker -

Even the maps are off somewhat, so it's difficult to get a true picture of exactly where each camp is located.

But since you'll be traveling in January, the area of peak interest is the South East and Central/Seronera areas of the Serengeti. Ndutu is in the SE, whereas, while Kusini is also here, on some maps is shows this camps to be west of Ndutu, on others, slightly north... so I can't advise exactly. Olduvai is also in the SE but more east of Ndutu... still confused? Me too!

So you've got choices for the SE area - Ndutu Lodge (they also have a small camp nearby... check on this also), Kusini (expensive, but maybe you can split your time with 2-days here, 2-days elsewhere), Olduvai and the one I mentioned above, Serengeti Camp. Any of these in the SE area work.

In the Central/Seronera area, there is the Serena, Sopa and Wildlife Lodges.

Also, mobile camping, as mentioned above - you're not tied into availability at a particular lodge/camp, but they set-up your own - for sleeping, loo/shower, dining. Now, this isn't for everyone, but inquire about the semi-lux or lux set-ups/prices and put this on your consideration list.

The routing you mention - Arusha, Lk. Manyara, Ngrongoro, Southeast Serengeti and finally the Central/Seronera area is the way you should go. No back and forth - a straight line - from Central you can do hot-air balloon if you wish; definitely fly back to Arusha from here.

See which of the camps above are available for your dates and be flexible because January is very busy and lots of space has already been booked. Let us know what you've able to get/decide.

Patty May 20th, 2005 01:11 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an accurate map out there that showed the locations of all of the lodges and camps (at least the permanent ones)! Unfortunately, I haven't found such a thing either and usually resort to piecing bits and pieces together from various websites and books.

To answer your question about Gibbs Farm, it's located near the town of Karatu and according to their website, a 1.5 hour drive to Ngorongoro crater. I assume they mean to get to either of the crater descent roads. They also have some other driving distances listed on their website which you might find helpful - http://www.gibbsfarm.net/pages/information.html

Some other farm/plantation type lodgings around the same area as Gubbs that you could consider are Plantation Lodge, Ngorongoro Farmhouse, and Kifaru Lodge.

Staying in one of the lodges around the crater rim (Serena, Sopa, etc.)would give you more convenient access but it depends on what type of accomodations you prefer. From reading their website, I gather that ATR is adverse to big safari lodges which is probably why they recommended Gibbs. It's also probably why they've included Ronjo rather than one of the central Serengeti lodges.

You'll have to decide based on what type of accomodations you prefer and of course, what's available as you may not have a choice in some areas.

Patty May 20th, 2005 01:39 PM

By the way, ATR doesn't own/operate any camps. They're strictly a booking agent. I believe Olduvai and Ronjo are owned by Tanganyika Expeditions and only available to Tanganyika guests, so ATR will be contracting them as your ground operator. That's why Good Earth can't book you there.

dreamseeker May 20th, 2005 04:00 PM

Oh, thank goodness,and you guys, I think I'm finally on the right track !!My main decision now is which SE property to use but I think Kusini is out--more investigating but it's really narrowed down. I'll probably just stay on the Crater rim, maybe Serena. Good Earth said Seronera Wildlife recently changed owernship and isn't up to quality standards(?).It did sound sort of basic but kinda nifty when I read the description,good location.Thanks again and hope you have a great weekend.