Help on planning low-cost safari

Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Help on planning low-cost safari

Thanks everyone for all of your informative posts... I now have a question for the group.

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Southern Africa arr. Jun 12 (soon!) and have some time available.

We are scheduled to go to Kruger on June 18, stay in the Drifters Game Lodge, and then on to Cape Town on the 22nd-29th (itinerary tba).

We need to find something for the 12th - 18th that fits the following parameters:

- We have heard that 4-5 days on safari can be enough at one time. We'd love to do something for that week which is different from Kruger & Drifters, or that at least gives us a somewhat different experience.

- Our budget is limited - probably about $1500 - $1700pp including flights t/f J'burg.

- We don't need luxury, but we'd rather stay in places with flush toilets and we don't want to participation camp.

Some questions as well:

- Is camping that much better than lodges, or do lodges give you a similar experience?

- Can anyone recommend a specific tour operator or agent that you've used with which you've had especially good experiences? (I've looked at many of those posted).

- We have looked at South Luangwa, and this seems like a region that might be better value. Is this true? Will it be very similar to Kruger? How about Chobe and Savuti as well?

- We have been quoted decent rates at Vic Falls, but we're a little concerned. We both went to Iguazu last year and enjoyed it, but after 48 hours we were ready to move on. We don't bungee jump. Is it worth a visit anyway? Can you package it with something else?

- Does anyone have any experience with the Drifters at Kruger?

Many thanks for your help... feel free to email me directly if you'd rather at [email protected].
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:21 AM

based on your budget and the fact that you are leaving so soon you may be able to capatilize on last minute specials. there is a web site called www.mtbeds.co.za that has such specials, some are only for african residents but others are open to all check it out. i believe somebody from this board has even called them up and they put together a trip for them. if you want something different than kruger you may try pinda. it is on special at mt beds but for african res. only but who knows maybe if you call up they may be able to do something for you. let us know if this works!
good luck!

Search this Thread