help needed to choose hotel in Cairo and Luxor

Jan 10th, 2002, 07:41 PM
jenny

help needed to choose hotel in Cairo and Luxor

Last minute plan to visit Egypt for the first time, leaving this Saturday.
Checked on the high end hotels and they are all having great discounts. Trouble is I don't know which to choose. ?Four Seasons or Marriott or Le Meridien or Sofitel? Also wondering which way to travel. Fly from Cairo to Luxor and take a cruise to Aswan and fly back to Cairo? or fly Cairo to Aswan etc. Many thanks.

Jan 11th, 2002, 03:41 AM
gail

I don't see much difference in Aswan-Luxor cruise versus the other - we did Aswan-Luxor, but that was determined by schedule rather than any preference. We were surprised that on a "4 day" cruise you are actually only moving about 1/2 the time - the distances are not that great and stops for sites are frequent. We stayed at one of the 2 Sheratons in Cairo - it is the one on a fake island that looks like a blight on the landscape. Very new but not near anything. When we stopped for an afternoon break at the Meridien, I liked the atmospehere there, but never stayed there. Enjoy your trip, especially the cruise. I spent hours on the top deck of the boat just looking at the banks of the Nile pass by - it was like watching scenes from every movie of life thousands of years ago that I had ever seen - farmers on donkeys, hand-dug irrigation ditches, etc.

Jan 11th, 2002, 05:23 AM
jenny

Thanks for your input. I am so excited about this trip. Just saw again The Mummy and Mummy Returns, and recalling scenes from Death on the Nile.
Any suggestions as to which cruise to take?

Jan 11th, 2002, 06:45 AM
gail

There have been many posts here on Nile cruises - try a search. Before we went in the Spring I found much useful info here. We were on an Oberoi boat, but that was because it was a tour and that is what was scheduled. There were seemingly hundreds of boats - some newer than others, but all about the same size. Talking to people, there does not seem to be a huge variation. Although ours was a somewhat older boat, the cabins had been renovated so each was now double size. Lots of old wood - it really made us feel like we were on some decadent adventure from many years ago. You did not ask, but the most important thing to our having a good time was extreme care in what we ate/drank. Even though we were told that in hotels and on boat we could eat and drink at will, we opted for only bottled water and some dietary restrictions. At least 1/2 of those on the tour had at least minor stomach ills - we did not and were able to see everything. I am jealous - I will return to Egypt some day.

Jan 11th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Mora

I can only comment on the Cairo/Giza area. We stayed at the Marriott in Cairo and would highly recommend!! We saw the Hilton (looked tired), and went into 2 Sheratons looking for the duty-free shop and they were cheaper than the Marriott but NOT as nice.

In Giza, we stayed at Le Meridian. Service was perfect, rooms were being renovated as of Jul01. Some of the rooms at that time looked like they needed it, but they upgraded us to a nice suite for the same price! Would stay again only if the price was really low.

One more note, .... BUY duty-free wine etc when you land at the airport (if you drink wine). It is unreal how expensive it is at a restaurant!!!

Have fun!

Jan 11th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Dick

Jenny, our river cruise was from Aswan downstream to Luxor (also a function of the particular tour company we chose). All the travel was during hours of daylight so we were able to take in the scenery and whether a function of the channel or the captain's choice he would alternate one bank for a while and then the other. Just a few more comments to "whet" your appetite for the trip. We especially enjoyed the venders coming out to the boat (in their small craft) in the vicinity of the locks in the lower reach of the trip. Bartering was enjoyable particularly with them throwing tapistries up several decks to us and getting payment likewise. Our trip was in late June so we had no river traffic to speak of. Enjoy the trip!

Jan 11th, 2002, 02:59 PM
jenny

Thank you all. I will probably stay at the Marriott cos their price is most right. I will cruise from Aswan to Luxor since I am flying standby, and I it's a shorter train ride from Luxor to Cairo if the flights are all full. Is there a restriction on how much wine one can bring into Egypt?

Search this Thread