Help needed on first trip to South Africa

Nov 27th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Help needed on first trip to South Africa

We will be going for two weeks in June 2006. Any recommendations on safaris...midpriced. How many days in Cape Town? Is Joburg definitely worth a couple of nights? How does one book flights between cities and what airlines are safe and reliable? Thanks.
Nov 27th, 2005, 08:09 PM

kakki,

Which safari destinations are you considering? When I see a first time trip with details so vague, I do think that you have not yet had the opportunity to properly research your options.

Also, are you aware that it will likely be cold and raining in Cape Town for your June visit?

I would only spend a couple nights in Joburg if I were using it as a springboard to start your safari. However, if you are committed to spending time in Cape Town, which with an early enough start you could also use as a springboard to start your safari.

For your safari there are really so many options. Do you want to stay in luxury lodges or do you want to stay in tented camps or a mixture of both? Perhaps you are interested in an overland mobile safari?

Do you want to visit Botswana, Zambia or South Africa or somewhere else for your safari?

What sort of activities are you looking for during your safari? Are you fine only doing game drives or do you also want to do walking safaris, canoeing, cultural visits, possibly fishing, etc.?

Do you have any fear of small planes or are you fine hopping around between destinations on a 4 seater plane?

There are just so many possibilities when doing a safari.

Just some possible lodges, if, in fact, you are considering lodges for your safari.

There are really not to many places in Botswana or South Africa that I can think of off-hand that will be less then $1,000 per night. Some examples would be Elephant Plains in the Sabi Sand, Chitwa Chitwa in the Sabi Sand and not much more that I am personally aware of.

I don't know of a single place in Botswana where you could get a high season stay in a luxury camp like a Wilderness Safaris or Kwando camp for under $1,000 per night.

In Zambia, you will have many more options as there is not a single lodge yet, that I am aware of, that has eclipsed the $1,000 per night mark. Even luxury lodges like Luangwa River Lodge and Puku Ridge are only about $800 per night ($400 per person per night sharing). Chongwe River Camp, an excellent camp in the Lower Zambezi, would run about the same, while Chiawa would be the most expensive option in Zambia but still squeaks in at just under $1,000 per night.

Then there are less expensive options like Kafunta River Lodge in South Luangwa and Kasaka River Lodge in the Lower Zambezi, that while still very nice are less expensive at about $550 - $650 per night for a couple sharing.
Kasaka River Lodge is excellent for its Zambezi River activities, including river safaris and fishing for the razor-toothed Tiger Fish on a catch and release policy.

www.luangwariverlodge.com
www.chiawa.com
www.starofafrica.com
www.luangwa.com
www.kasakariverlodge.com

Hope this helps and will get you looking in the right direction for your safari.

Good luck.

Search this Thread