Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Help, need to finalize an itinerary and need feedback!

Help, need to finalize an itinerary and need feedback!

Sep 28th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Help, need to finalize an itinerary and need feedback!

Here's what we've come up with so far through Roy's. I need to put a deposit down as soon as possible so any feedback would be great. Thanks!!!

Dec 26th - Arrive Arusha AM. Depart for Tarangire, brief afternoon game drive, overnight semi-luxury mobile tent camping special campsite
Dec 27th - Morning game drive in Tarangire before proceeding to Manyara, afternoon game drive, overnight Wildlife Lodge
Dec 28th - Depart Manyara for Serengeti, afternoon game drive, overnight semi- luxury mobile tent camping special campsite
Dec 29th - Full day Serengeti, morning and afternoon game drives, overnight semi-luxury mobile tent camping special campsite
Dec 30th - Full day Serengeti, morning and afternoon game drives, overnight semi-luxury mobile tent camping special campsite
Dec 31st - Brief game drive in Serengeti before departing for Ngorongoro Crater, afternoon on Crater floor, overnight Ngorongoro Farmhouse
Jan 1st - Morning game drive on Crater floor, afternoon Circle Hike, overnight Ngorongoro Farmhouse
Jan 2nd - Depart Crater for Mto Wa Mbu Village Walk, afternoon return to Arusha overnight Impala Hotel.
Jan 3rd - am Canoe safari Arusha National Park pm transfer to Kilimanjaro

Price per person $2,735.00

The last two day's I'm really unsure about. We looked into adding a night in a lodge in the Serengeti instead of going all the way back to Arusha but, unfortunately, it's all booked. That's what I get for waiting till the last minute during busy season. Any other options I should check into for the last two days? Would it be better to end the safari on January 2nd and plan something on our own?

Thanks for your feedback!
Sep 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM

I think your itinerary is actually pretty good considering how late you're booking for the holiday season.

Do you know the location of the campsite in the Serengeti? Are the crater rim lodges all full on Dec 31 (I assume so)?

A few possibilities for your final night instead of overnighting in Arusha - keep in mind these are based on my own personal interests so I have no idea if they would be of interest to you, but here are a few suggestions -

1. Lake Eyasi region (about 2 hours? from Ngorongoro Farmhouse) - you can visit the Hadzabe bushmen and Datoga tribe in this area. See this travelogue for descriptions of encounters with these tribes -
http://www.janeandken.com/tanzaniapart2.html

You can camp here or there's a tented camp called Kisima Ngeda.

2. West Kilimanjaro area (about 1.5 to 3 hours from Kilimanjaro airport depending on where you stay) - you can stay at Kambi ya Tembo on the Sinya Reserve or at a private game ranch called Ndarakwai. Or if you want a less wildlife oriented experience, you could stay at Makoa Farm. They're located between Arusha and Moshi, not far from the airport. There's horse riding and local village visits available from the farm.

See Eben's threads for pictures and descriptions of the area -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34644698

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34628643

I'd be interested to hear about your semi-luxury camping experience with Roys when you return as this is something that I think I'd like to do next time.

Search this Thread