Help me find a good Handycam for my August safari

Mar 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
santharamhari

Help me find a good Handycam for my August safari

Hi! Although, my prime interest is still photos......i also, want to buy a good handycam (preferably digital with dvd writer)......any suggestions?.....want to start researching on this before buying. My safari to Botswana is only Mid August.

Something good, functional, easy to handle, good quality.......thanks in advance

Hari

Mar 14th, 2006, 04:25 AM

Hi Hari,

I am the last person to know about handycam's but I think you can e-mail and ask james of eyes on africa, his e-mail ID is [email protected].

Also Phil who writes on the forum is a photographer and his e-mail ID is
[email protected]

Best of luck

Sonali
Mar 14th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Research at cnet.com
Mar 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Hi Hari

If you budget can accommodate it, I highly recommend the SONY HDR-HC1 MiniDV camcorder (UK price =£1050.00).

The quality of video is stunning as it films in widescreen and hi-definition. I done some filming in Tanzania last month and played it back when I got home. In hi-definition all I can say is WOW!!!!!

It also means all of the video you shoot is in a future-proof format, as we are entering the period of hi-definition tv (now) and hi-definition DVD (end of 2006).

Gaurang
Mar 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM
santharamhari

Thanks everyone.......

Gaurang,

Is it easy to use? Was charging the batteries etc etc., a big hassle.

Did u find the camera light weight and easy to use? so that it doesnt shake?

Thanks
Hari

Mar 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Hari,

I can strongly recommend the very affordable ZR line of mini-DV camcorders by Canon. The 20X optical zoom is very handy for safari photography and the image stabilization is tremendous. Even when bouncing along on an action-packed game drive, the camera took rock-solid video.

I would not consider any brands other than Canon or Sony. No one else can match their reliability and image stabilization technology.

Good luck with your shopping!
Mar 15th, 2006, 12:44 AM

Hi Hari

It is slightly bigger than the usual handycams because it needs space to pack all that great technology, but it is only slightly bigger.

It is very easy to use and the batteries are easy to replace. I keep about 3 with me during game-drives. It is always a good idea to use the view finder rather than the lcd screen as that helps to save battery power.

It has a great "night-shot" mode to film in low light conditions. I have used it in early morning game-drivs and night game-drives.

Regarding the zoom, if you were to compare it to 35mm conversion....

-When filming, max. zoom is 480mm.
-When taling still shots
Mar 15th, 2006, 12:58 AM

Hi Hari

It is slightly bigger than the usual handycams because it needs space to pack all that great technology, but it is only slightly bigger.

It is very easy to use and the batteries are easy to replace. I keep about 3 with me during game-drives. It is always a good idea to use the view finder rather than the lcd screen as that helps to save battery power.

It has a great "night-shot" mode to film in low light conditions. I have used it in early morning game-drivs and night game-drives.

Regarding the zoom, if you were to compare it to 35mm conversion....

-When filming, max. zoom is 480mm.
-When taking still shots, max. zoom is 400mm.

Still shots can be stored on a memory stick and are 3 mega-pixels, but decent quality.

You can attach an extra light to the camera for filming in low-light and you can also get 2.0x hi-definition teleconvertor for this camera that will take the filming zoom to 960mm with a crystal clear image.

But the best thing is when you get home and watch it on a Hi-Def TV.....the detail is amazing and better than most wildlife documentaries (unless you are watching them in hi-definition )

I saw much more detail in my video than when I was actually there, which probably shows that I'm loosing my eyesight.

In the UK, the Sony price is £1500, but you can save about £500 if you shop around.

Gaurang
Mar 15th, 2006, 02:00 AM
santharamhari

Thanks Gaurang,

Sony is usually easier for me to shop for in India............i'm sure it's cheaper here or in Singapore, where i travel a lot to........

Will look into it and keep you posted. Thank you very much

Hari

Search this Thread