Help! I forgot Route 62!!

May 27th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Help! I forgot Route 62!!

So, Just as I am faxing off my deposits to our guesthouses for our stay in SA, my hubby FINALLY decides to look at the itinerary and says "hey - where are we staying on Route 62?" and then proceeds to remind me this is one of the few things his friend from SA really implored him to see.

I had just planned to drive on the N2 autoroute over to the Whalecoast, but I guess that needs to be changed!

So, any suggestions how that fits into the following itinerary? (then no more changes! honest!)

Oct 10 ? fly to JNB,
Oct.11 ? arrive 8:30 am drive to Witwater
Oct 12 safari Witwater
Oct 13 safari Witwater
Oct 14 safari/fly to Port Elizabeth Drive to the Elephant House
Oct 15 Elephant house, wake early and go to Addo Elephant Safari. Then do tooth and Claw safari
Oct 16 Drive 3 hrs to Plettenburg Bay, on the way do the www.treetoptour.com Stay at Aroomwithaview.
Oct 17 Plettenburg/ do Monkeyland. Drive to Knysna, Stay at overmeer
Oct 18 Knysna/overmeer/Tsala dinner
Oct 19 Knysna/overmeer/LaLoerie dinner.
Oct 20 Hermanus/do wineries around there
Oct 21 Drive to winelands, stay at Cathbert,
Oct 22 Winelands/Cathbert
Oct 23 Winelands/Cathbert
Oct 24 -Drive to 40 min cape town, check in avanti guest house
Oct 24-30 Cape town

Should I change Oct 20 and instead of Hermanus drive from Knysna down route 62 and stay in Montagu at the Mimosa or the Kingna(or would another town be better?) I understand the drive between Knysna and Montagu is about 4 hours. I could then take a day off the winelands to go down to Hermanus (either at the beginning or the end of staying in the winelands).

Your assistance is appreciated.
May 27th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Melissaom,

This time methinks that you are pushing the envelope too far. What you want to do can be done but do you really want to travel Route 62 and forego a day in the Winelands as well as miss the equal wonders of some of the scenery on the N2 autoride? I will not challenge the fact that Route 62 is a wonderful drive and towns like Calitzdorp, Ladismith, Barrydale and Montagu are wonderful to visit. The scenery is also fabulous HOWEVER all that you are doing is you are giving up other good scenery, other quaint towns (Swellendam, Gouritz Bridge, Albertinia and all its Aloe Ferox plants etc as well as a day on the Winelands for the R62 drive. My opinion = You are making a mistake and please bear in mind that I am saying this after having travelled the R62 and N2 so many times in my life.

If you do opt for the R62 then in my opinion your plan that you proposed would be correct and that would be to stay in Montagu at the Mimosa Lodge (wonderful venue). The next day you could travel via the Kogmanskloof and the town of Bonnievale down to Hermanus. Needless to say this would mean that you have to forego a day in the Winelands.

My final advice is think this one through very, very carefully.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
May 27th, 2003, 03:26 PM
LLC

Selwyn (or anyone else)-
What would you consider to be the ideal route from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town?
There is so much to see, the problem I'm having is figuring what I have to leave out, I want to see it all- the N2,Route 62, the whale coast, Swartberg pass and Oudtshoorn, the winelands,but only have 6 days. Help!

Search this Thread