Search

Petra our way?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petra our way?

Two couples would like to fly from Tel Aviv to Eilat one day next May. Be picked up and driven across the border and on to Petra. We want to attend the candlelight evening program (I believe it happens several nights each week) and overnight in Petra. Next morning we want to walk around Petra on our own. By late morning we want to head back to Eilat for a flight back to Tel Aviv.
Any recommendations for who to contact to arrange the logistics? Our program does not fit into the standard tour packages and we'd rather not be packaged anyway.
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Not sure, but it's very possible Israeli vehicles cannot drive into Jordan. Rather you'd fly to Eilat, arrange to get to the border for procedures (Visa/immigration), then pick-up vehicle/taxi other side for trip to Petra. You'd also have to prebook hotel for overnight. Spend whateve time at Petra balance of that day and candlelight program.

Am sure you can arrange with same Taxi who drove you to Petra to pick-up next to return you to Eilat border.
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm trying to learn about what arrangements I can make to get to the border. Taxi? and then a Jordanian taxi after border crossing?
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 03:18 PM
jgg

We used Ahalan Olympus (http://www.ahalanolympus.co.il) for our trip from Eilat to Petra. We did not do an overnight, but were very pleased with their services. They picked us up from our hotel in Eilat and drove us to the border. We walked across the border and then someone met us on the other side, took care of our visa, passport stuff and got us settled with our driver. I know they have set tours but also can do private tours set up the way you want.

Here is a link to my trip report: http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/0...t-israel-2010/
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

thanks jgg, that's just the info I need. I will contact them and also read your report.