Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Help compare elephant viewing at Savute Elephant Camp with Linyanti camps

Help compare elephant viewing at Savute Elephant Camp with Linyanti camps

Oct 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Lin
Original Poster

Help compare elephant viewing at Savute Elephant Camp with Linyanti camps

At Savute in western Chobe, night drives and off roading aren't allowed since it's in the NP. I have stayed at Savuti and Selinda in the Linyanti. I want to experience intense elephant encounters again, as I did in Savuti, but I'm also interested in trying another location in Botswana (will be staying at delta camps later). Are elephant sightings assured at Savute? Are there large numbers? Did you miss the night drives? Any comments appreciated.
Oct 25th, 2005, 12:41 AM
mv

Lin

seeing elephants froma small boat in Chobe is quite an experience.
I have stayed twice at Impalila Island lodge (Namibia) where all activities are done by boat. Any evening trip to Chobe will give you 1000+ elephants in the dry season
Michael
Oct 25th, 2005, 12:47 AM

HI,
Great questions, we are interested in same. But I'm confused about all of the different "Savuti"s and "Chobe"s. If someone could kindly clarify this for me I'd appreciate it.
I agree about night drives and off road. We were at Moremi Botswana in September and that was the rule there. We saw essentially NO elephants in Moremi Park, but, many many outside, across the river. I will now try to avoid all game areas that have these two restrictions.
regards - tom
Oct 25th, 2005, 03:39 AM

We went to Savuti (Wilderness Safaris) in early June 2004 and saw very very few elephants. This was down to the unusually high delta floods last year - as they were higher the waters took longer to recede/ dry out and hence it wasn't as dry as usual for the month. Usually by June there are few water sources available and the eles flock to the spring next to the Savuti hide.

Oct 25th, 2005, 06:24 AM

We were at Duma Tau one August and saw many elephants and one of the best experiences was watching them cross the river from a small boat.
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Lin
Original Poster

cary999: 'Savute' Elephant Camp is in the western part of Chobe NP. It seems to be futher away from those camps that are all clustered together nearer to Vic Falls. That's why I thought I might try it. 'Savuti' Camp is in the Linyanti concession which is north and west of Chobe NP. 'Chobe' is the name of the national park and the river, and there are several lodges and camps within the park which incorporate the name, hence all the 'Chobes' you come across while researching.

Both Chobe and the Linyanti have good reputations for elephant-viewing. Some people express negative opinions on the Chobe experience because there are more tourists, even day tourists, and the animal sightings are often shared. Yet this appears to be balanced by the awe felt when viewing, as 'mv' states, 1,000 elephants at once.

I was at Savuti last July and there was a tremendous number of elephants, but I was at Selinda (in the Linyanti) in 2004 (when Kavey was at Savuti) and, like her, I saw no elephants.

mv: Because of the western location of Savute, I am not sure whether they offer boat rides on the Chobe River. I'll try to find out.

moremiles: At Duma Tau, were there any hides for watching elephants close up?

Has anyone stayed at Savute Elephant Camp or the Savute Safari Lodge (close to each other)?
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Lin,

No, there were no hides that we were aware of but the managers at that time(Aug. 03)were not the best we encountered at our 4 WS camps so would not be surprised if we were not informed or offered a chance to visit a hide. I think I read somewhere that the managers had been replaced at that camp.
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Dry season, the experience at the Savuti hide is amazing. Also the underground hide at Kings Pool is great. Linyanti is definitely a great area for Elephants in the dry season.
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM

LIN,
The first camp we stayed at on our first safari this Sept. was WS SAVUTI.
The "hide" is a approx. 4"h circle of dead tree sections. (It reminded me of dead wood washed up on a shore.)
The hide is next to an artificially fed watering hole in front of the camp.
IT WAS FABULOUS! ;D
We would be surrounded by different groups of eles, impalas, wildebeeste, zebras, giraffs and last, but the ever so self-important, the warthogs.
But it was the eles that came right up to the "hide" and hung out so close you could have a conversation.
It was so interesting observing how a new group negotiates entering a territory. Watching a second group of impala come out of the bush and down the valley and then halt about 15' before an already present group and not make a move that I observed. Then after about 3 minutes a female who was by the male of the second group stepped forward, crossed "no man's land" while a female of the original group came to the forward edge of her group until they stood parallel
for maybe 2 seconds. Then the whole second group moved forward and within a minute it was all over.
I saw a wild dog kill at Chitabe Trails a few days later, but for me this was just as thrilling.
I think this is the Africa addiction. I think it is a rapid series of REAL physiological highs. There are so many pleasures. Hardly any experience is ordinary.
Now I'm thinking of my next trip too, and I'm with you, "I want to experience intense elephant encounters again."....I'm just not sure where and for how many days ;D

Search this Thread