Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Help a frustrated mom get a ticket to daughter in kenya, please

Help a frustrated mom get a ticket to daughter in kenya, please

Aug 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Help a frustrated mom get a ticket to daughter in kenya, please

If this turns out to be a duplication, I apologize but i cannot find my earlier post!

Trying to make a long story short:
Dear daughter finishing up service with Peace Corps and using KLM freq fly miles to visit friend in Ghana before leaving the continent(to meet me in Amsterdam for a week before returning home to US).

Since she first registered with NWA (partner to KLM) here in the States, the transaction had to go thru NWA, who in turn said they could mail ticket only to address in the States.

So, now i have this ticket and I am finding it impossible to get it to my daughter in Kenya. partially b/c she's in a remote village, but mostly b/c no one I turn to knows how to handle this! I have dealt today with employees of DHL and the Post Office (FedEx) who have no clue how to get it to her village. Couldn't even find the postal code for Kenya!

If she does not get the ticket by August 30, she probably won't get to take the trip, which means all our plans will have to be changed ($$!) or she'll have to find a hotel in Nairobi until it's time to meet me.(Again, $$!)

I have emailed KLM to ask whether I can overnight the ticket to them and let DD pick it up on the day of the flight, but so far, I have had no response.

Any other suggestions??
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Haven't done this in Kenya, but in the US I often have to Fed Ex things to people staying at hotels. So how about having her book a hotel (probably chain hotel like the Hilton or Intercontinental, since they are used to receiving packages for guests travelling on business). She might need this anyway to catch her flight. Then send the Fed Ex package to the hotel with the notation:
Hold for NAME, guest arriving on DATE.

Send the Fed Ex by the slowest, cheapest option available, obviously.

It's an expensive solution, but may be one of the safest.

I don't think that the airline will hold it for her...other option: if the Peace Corps has a central office in Nairobi, mail it there for her to pickup? But personally, I'd still do it Fed Ex...not sure I'd trust the mail to get it there on time, especially with an airline ticket.
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, tashak. I cannot get in touch with her since she lives in a remote village with no electricity, only occasional phone use, etc. If push comes to shove, that's what I will reserve a room for her and do as you suggest. Mail takes two to three MONTHS, so I will FedEx (and swallow the $85 to $100 it'll cost!)
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Sallyjane,
I would still try to check with the Peace Corps and see if there is an office in Nairobi that receive the Fed Ex can hold the ticket for pickup there before she leaves. (I'm quite sure the hotel option will work, but then you have to pay for a relatively expensive hotel too. Last time I stayed in Nairobi (June) my rate at the Intercontinental was about $120. Fed Ex shipment should be more like $65, as long as you pick the slower 4-5 day delivery option. This service might take more than 5 working days to arrive...perhaps 6 or 7 business days. But still faster and more secure than the mail!

Search this Thread