Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-444299/)

beneteau Jun 22nd, 2004 10:57 AM

HELP!

Guys!
I just had an unexpected windfall of 2 weeks holiday, first two weeks in July, before a new job. PLEASE HELP! Where can we go that's a) not in Europe or LATAM (been there too much lately) and b) not mid-rainy season? We'd like something with a nice mix of architecture and culture.

Anything??

janeg Jun 22nd, 2004 12:12 PM

Go to the Galapagos. We loved the trip we took with Inca Floats. Loved Turkey (sort of non Europe)
What is LATAM?

beneteau Jun 23rd, 2004 10:52 AM

Hmm. Been to Turkey, but could always go again. Any other ideas? Where are you going this summer?

"LATAM" = Latin America

Thanks!!

sandi Jun 23rd, 2004 10:57 AM

If you're looking for architecture, try the Pyramids. Egypt is a great destination but remembers that it will be real Hot in July. But it's not all that expensive, so something to think about.

janeg Jun 23rd, 2004 12:24 PM

beneteau
Just got back from Western Europe. Stuck here till Feb, then plan Panama, then Baltic next summer (good July destination, but Europe). Galapagos is very different from rest of LATAM.
You are posting on Africa/ME board so I assume you have done lots there. We loved our So Af, Botsw, Zimb (a mess now) trip.
Then there is always So Pac. esp New Zealand. Loved that! Went with a group called Black Sheep.

alice13 Jun 24th, 2004 05:41 AM

I'd have said Turkey too, but if you've been there and done that - how about Thailand? Granted Bangkok is pretty steamy in July but it's generally not raining. Or China? Or Hong Kong?

And there's always Australia!!

divewop Jun 24th, 2004 05:53 AM

If you're looking for something a little different, Australia and New Zealand are great destinations.
I wouldn't try to combine both countries in your two week time frame. I would do either Australia or New Zealand(my favorite of the two.)

New Zealand has breathtaking countryside and the two weeks could be used to travel both the North and South Island or just the South Island w/ plenty to do. And you can learn a little of the Maori culture while there.

I would suggest looking at the Australia/South Pacific forum to get ideas if you are interested in traveling down under. It has a wealth of info there.

beneteau Jun 24th, 2004 10:59 AM

All great ideas- thanks! Been to Bankgok + Egypt (LOVED it!), and New Zealand/Australia are a bit too...Western- but we're now seriously thinking of safaris in Africa (Tanzania/Bots/Kenya). Never ever been to that part of Africa, so any advice would be very appreciated!

Where in the Baltics are you going? Another interesting option...

Thanks so much!

janeg Jun 24th, 2004 11:13 AM

Baltic trip- usual places- Start in Berlin, Copenhagen,Tallinin, Estonia, St. Petersburg, Helsinki,Stockholm. Smithsonian Journeys has a trip on the MS Silver Cloud. Most people on Fodors talk board don't approve of taking packaged tours. We like to do it that way 'cuz we're old & lazy.