Search

Headgear for safaris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headgear for safaris

Hi Everyone,

As always, thank you for all the wonderful advise.I'm planning on going to Kenya next month (Nov'07) and know I'll need a hat/headgear. But before I grab my fedora, leather jacket, and bullwhip, I wanted to get some advise from my fellow fodorites. Any suggestions/reccommendations? Especially, on the lower end of the price spectrum?
Thank you!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Duluth Trading Co has reasonably priced pith helmets that should go nicely with your bullwhip.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:50 AM

A wide brimmed hat to protect you from sun. I also take a baseball cap that has a flap in the back to protect my neck.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:14 AM

CORRUPTED KENYA AIRWAYS
Posted: Thu October 18, 2007 03:49 PM UTC
WARNING: Stay away from Kenya Airways... They overbook their flights, and DO NOT REFUND you for any compansation whatsoever.. We booked our flight over 9 months ago with them, and upon check in, they advised us that the overbooked and we were bumped. We lost over 7000$ USD because of their irresponsible behaviour and they refuse to compensate any of it. We were stuck in the Nairobi terminal with no food, water or any telephone to call our agent for over 9 hours!!! YOu are better off flying with a reputable provider that will not ruin your holiday and will actually comply with it's reservation policies. The staff were unhelpful, rude, lying and overall, the don't deserve to be the "Pride of Africa" more the " Shame of Africa". We were two out of several people who got bumped from this flight. All of us who didn't get refunded or a simple sorry. STAY AWAY from this airline from hell!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM

... which has nothing to do with headgear. Post your own thread on this issue.

As for headgear, I like my Tilley hat, but you can find inexpensive hats with wide brims and chinstraps at many stores. The ability to tie it on is good so that if you're standing up in the vehicle and it's moving, your hat doesn't blow off.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Like ShayTay, I like my Tilley hat. I bought it for my first safari and take it every year. It goes through the washing machine every time when I get back. Mine is one of the wider brim, original cotton fabric ones - some of them have quite narrow brims and they are made in various different fabrics.

Sorry, I've just seen the bit about price. However, if you wear it for many years I guess that makes it cost effective!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM

We both had the ball caps with the back flap which were UV protected and had been treated with bug repellant. They were under $20 to purchase and we gave them away before leaving.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

As always, everyone's very helpful! I'll look into all suggestions and see what works for me, thanks again!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Regular baseball style cap should work well ........
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM

I like a regular baseball cap. But I have long hair so I don't have to worry about my neck.

If you're a woman, I found it helpful to have a wide headband and ponytail for the times I just didn't feel like wearing a hat. The headband helped keep the shorter pieces around my face from whipping around.