Headed to Oman ...any last minute tips?

Mar 9th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Headed to Oman ...any last minute tips?

Hi all,

Tomorrow we are off to Muscat for a few days, then fly to Khasab on the Musandam peninsula, then a couple days in Dubai to round it out.

Last minute questions:
* Camel races, yes or no?
* Head scarf on western ladies, yes or no?
* Fish market in Barka, yes or no?
* gold souk, yes or no? (OK , thats just a trick question)

We are renting a car for the Muscat portion. Are we nuts...

Gard, I did read your website on Dubai and it was of great help. Any more suggestions on sites or restaurants are appreciated.
Mar 9th, 2004, 11:52 PM

Queenie -

No need for a headscarf in either Oman or Dubai. Oman and the UAE are incredibly tolerant of foreigners, and downright fond of westerners. You'll have no problems as long as you're modestly dressed - and by that I mean
no short shorts or short skirts, no exposed midrifs, no plunging necklines, etc.

I personally don't wear shorts while in Dubai, but I see women who do. The more modestly you dress, the fewer stares you get. Just do what makes sense. Beach attire for the beach, modest attire for the city, etc. I think you'll find that Oman is a bit more conservative than Dubai.

Bring your cotton outfits - it's gotten considerably warmer in this part of the world in just the past two weeks. The temps in Kuwait and Dubai are already well into the 90's.

Gold souk? But of course! The Dubai gold souk is my favorite place to shop for gold. You'll be amazed at the sheer quanitity of the stuff. Bargain like a mad woman, it's expected and can be a lot of fun.

FYI - There are some wonderful gold filigree beads to be had in Oman. Check the souks in Muscat and Ruwi. They make gorgeous necklaces when put on a chain.

No, you're not nuts to rent a car in Muscat. I would.

Have fun!
Oct 13th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Try http://www.omanholiday.co.uk

Search this Thread