Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has the turmoil in Kenya affected your travel there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did see the other current thread with current updates for Kenya (http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35098122).

Thanks to everyone on that thread for providing the boards with those on the ground reports.

Curious if the recent events have caused anyone to decide not to plan a trip in '08.

For those already booked for trips and had those trips canceled, what happens moving forward? In that type of situation, are you refunded or do you just need to reschedule? Does this depend on your travel insurance?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM

I'm going in June whatever happens. The only thing that can keep me away is lack of money, and hardly even that.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Just spoke to the Tauck people and they are being very generous with refunding my expenses. They will even reimburse my travel insurance, is that usual? If I book with them again, I am thinking of going to just Tanzania however my 3 month visa will have expired. Tauck said they would reimburse me for a new Visa at the cost of $100 each. Wow!

I had made some personal arrangements such as hotel in Nairobi and flight on Air Kenya, no penalties with those cancellations either.

When I canceled my air booked with FF miles through United they waived the $100 pp fee to put the miles back into my account.

Everyone has been extremely pleasant which makes things a little easier. I am just so disappointed not to be able to go at this time. Right now I am not making plans, some personal things came up so that I can't book immediately but would like to try to go before the March rainy season.
Ilene
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

ICASH--- where are you currently? I thought you hadn't left yet for your trip but looking at your posts on the other thread it appears that you're already in Africa. Is that right?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Katie, we are going next week for 14 nights. I'm sure we'll be fine in the parks but we are keeping a close eye on troublesome areas in-between parks because we have five drives of 2-6 hours when we xfer between Nairobi and park-to-park.

If something comes up our outfitter says he can cancel part of the trip (say Lake Nakuru, where up to 80 people have died) and rebook that in a calmer area like Masai Mara (really easy now that so many Brits have cancelled), and we can fly between lodges and from Mara to Nairobi instead of driving. But thus far our original plan is still intact.

Bill
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

I'd also like to pull together several Kenya related threads as we have received email from some readers who may not necessarily frequent the forums who are asking for advice. I'd like to be able to point them to a central document (probably on our news wire) that points to several related threads as obviously the many folks here currently traveling there, living there, or considering traveling to Kenya have a better "finger on the pulse" of the day-to-day.

So far, I planned on including the Kenya Update thread along with threads that are:
-Recent Trip Reports
-Recent threads related to travelers trying to figure out if they should go or not
-Recent threads about travel insurance/refund policies
-Threads related to Kenya itineraries
-And any tip threads
-Threads that include links to pictures

If you feel inclined to help me pull this together, feel free to direct me to any threads that you think would be of interest.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM

We are leave the 15th, and have not changed any plans at this point. Excited about our first trip, and trusting that all will go well.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM

I am going with Micato on January 14th. As far as I know.
Jess
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Despite many attempts to get Africa Adventure Company to cancel/change our Kenya portion of our trip, they assure us everything is fine...so are going on the 26th. I wish I had booked Tauck if they're so accommodating!
Also, our trip insurance through Travelex does not cover this because Kenya was under a Travel Advisory and excludes civil unrest.

I really am not comfortable going with the level of violence in Kenya right now, and would've preferred to change itineraries. At the least, a partial refund would've been appreciated, not a 100% cancellation penalty.
It bothers me that American tour operators don't seem as concerned with ensuring their clients' safety as the UK tour operators, who extended cancelling their trips through next week.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Katie,
ICASH was supposed to leave today but Tauck informed her of the cancellation yesterday http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35099569

Here are some threads relating to travelers discussing whether they should go or not and whether to alter their itineraries:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35098122

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35097276

Here are links to Kennedy's (a Nairobi tour operator) updates:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35097276

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35097952

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35099295

Third party travel insurance generally doesn't cover cancellation due to civil unrest/riots (except the "cancel for any reason" policies which are more costly and have deductibles), so it's usually up to the tour operator to offer refunds or postponement. From reading recent posts, it seems most airlines are being pretty good about fee waivers for changing dates or redepositing miles.

We're still leaving on the 26th.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Sorry, this is the correct link to Kennedy's first update http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35097665
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Patty for those links. That will be a huge help.

Barefoot...I'm sorry for your predicament..hopefully reports here will assuage your fears a bit. Fingers crosses for sure.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM

CNN has a good article that discusses the topic:
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/0...ya.tourism.ap/

I'm planning to go and very excited about the trip. I now know a lot more about Kenya that I anticipated and look forward to seeing the country and meeting the people.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM

I'm still planning to leave on Jan. 16th arriving in NBO on the 17th. Sharing the plane ride from AMS to NBO with Local2542.

I have been trying to change my itinerary from 3 nights at Little Governors and 2 nights at IL Moran to all 5 at Little Governors from Feb. 2nd-7th. I was hoping it would clear. (I'm still hoping!)

That tells me that people aren't canceling at the Governor's Camps. So things can't be all that bad!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM

My trip to Kenya isn't until September. I'm still planning to go, but several people who were planning to go with me have cooled to the idea, as they see all the news reports. I think that, while there are still travelers going (especially those of us who have been to Africa before), a lot of others will go elsewhere for some time to come. Going to Africa for first-timers can be a bit intimidating as it is, and the current spate of news reports are causing concern and fear in some.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I agree with ShayTay that to many first-timers, going to "Africa" is a rather intimidating experience.

I hope so much that all this turmoil this can be resolved peacefully--and justly. I do also hope that all the Kenyans who have worked so hard to make their country a palatable tourist destination aren't left high and dry. Hope #3: That travelers are safe and able to enjoy their holidays.

Umm...what was the question again, Katie?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Divewop,
I'm going to miss you by one day at Little Governors...we leave there on Feb. 2nd...would've been fun to connect with another Fodorite!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Barefootbeach,
I'm getting a negative perception of Africa Adventure Company seeing as how you are clearly nervous about the Kenya portion of your trip. Seems like it's better business to accommodate you, like
Tauck, evewn if they're not officially canceling the trip. Whether they think "everything's fine" is beside the point to me. Am I being unfair or are there other circumstances I'm not aware of?
Leslie
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Barefoot-
IMHO, AAC knows what they're doing. If they thought there was an imminent risk, they'd pull you outta there. I seriously doubt there's anything to worry about.

If it's your first time there, you'll really love it. I've been staying at the Gov's camps since '03.

I thought for a minute maybe we'd see each other in passing but I'll be flying in from the Serengeti that day so I probably won't arrive until the latter flight in the day.

I hope you get to see the resident bull ele who frequents the camp on a regular basis. Last year he even came up to the lounge during cocktail hour. I love that guy!

If you want a good guide/driver ask for Samuel, the elder. (There is a younger one.) He usually drives from the main Gov's camp but if you request him they'll pull him over. Just don't wear him out before I get there as I've already put in my request for him!!

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Hey divewop, remember when you get back after your great safari you owe us a report on how all those lenses worked out for you I've been to Lil Gov camp once, 2006, and would absolutely like/plan to go back.

regards - tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -