Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has Fodor's Locked the "Roccco's Posting Again" Thread?

Nov 30th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Have been following this thread with interest, and wanted to make a post, but the "post a reply" button now seems to be missing from this thread?
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Yes, lock and censor rate is increasing...
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
skimmer

Just curious to read his trip report from last year as he is an expert on Botswana after all.

Also I wonder if anyone is foolish enough to believe him again.

Not me as I never have.

Johan

Dec 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM

Hi!

I agree with Skimmer (are you the same John who is from Belgium?). Given everything which has been posted here about his business dealings and the way he has treated his clients anything he writes (about his own business or other people's) should be taken with a whole heaping of salt!

Moira
Dec 1st, 2007, 03:22 AM

BTW I have dropped a note to the Fodors editors...IMO anyone who has defrauded other Fodorites should be banned from posting here.

Moira
Dec 1st, 2007, 03:46 AM
skimmer

Moira,

I am indeed from Belgium.

Johan

Dec 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM

Hi Johan!

Sorry, I just realized that I misspelled your name...anyhow I thought the photos looked familiar!

Moira
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:52 AM

Sorry, Rocco, you've said or done nothing to regain the credibility you lost with me when you described your then associate as Fodor's resident Botswana expert. You were advising some Fodor's newbies, and did it without so much as a blush. At the time, your associate had been to Botswana just once and seen three or four camps, yet was rattling off advice about camps and lodges all over the country. It makes me wonder how easily these words rolled off your tongue in the "Rocco's posting again" thread:
I am of the firm belief that in order to best work with a client you must first have been there yourself...

John
Dec 1st, 2007, 05:02 AM

Moira,

Obviously, you do not know what you are talking about and I will not allow your outright slander to go unchallenged.

I see the gang is all here in this thread...the author here on this forum for an entire 5 months and a client of a safari outfit that has tried since the beginning to harass me...then we have Bwana Mitch, er, I mean, Nyama, who has never quite cared for me since he advertised of pooping his pants and we conclude with King Leopold 2007 who must have to toe the line for all the lodges he visits (why again is Chiefs to be avoided while Mombo is great? never mind they share the same island) and we conclude with Moira who enjoys playing the wing-woman for a certain agent who flew the coop with clients who were already committed to another agent with paid deposits.

Mitch, you know what to do when you are being censored, as demonstrated by your sissy fit that marked your exit from the board a couple years ago.

I will say it again...I am here to participate on this forum to share my love of Africa and do not wish to engage in threads of this nature. Unfortunately, when I do not defend myself, however, I am assumed guilty, as was the case when I did not face down the lynch mob a few months ago. I ask that we get back to the subject and stop the witch hunt.
Dec 1st, 2007, 05:08 AM

To add to some of the above posts..... who needs ultra-lux accomodations/pampering/heated plunge pools? come on guys, do we as clients stand to benefit from any of this in the long term? what do we go there on safari for????

And pampering - don't you all think that's such an over rated thing? Name a few places in the Western world that can match the basic hospitality and friendliness of the people (guides, management, staff) across Africa???? what pampering exactly are we looking for????
Dec 1st, 2007, 05:45 AM

"IMO anyone who has defrauded other Fodorites should be banned from posting here."

MoiraS-- That remains to be seen, if he defrauded anyone. We should wait and hear from Julian and Rocco's clients. There are other sides of the story to be heard.

When do we hear from the others? Or should we try them in abstention, also.
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:35 AM

Rocco,

Talking of slanderous material, your shooting down of Johan is particulary pathetic. For somebody who lives in Maun and previously worked in the industry I have heard his name mentioned. Plus seen a photo album of his at Kwara. Let me just state, that there is no toeing the line. From what I ahve been told, he pays the full amount like any other guest, that includes the private vehicle. I am not going to disclose all details, though I have been reliably informed that cost is not an issue, just the service that he receives.

If this means prefering Chiefs over Mombo, then so be it. He is not far from the truth, Mombo has better game becasue of the alluvial deposites from where the delta splits at the tip of chiefs island. Hence, a higher caring capicity, more predators etc.

The fact that no one entertaines your posts says alot. I don't particualrly care for your personal life. Your business should have been insured against monies being swiped etc no matter what divorce proceedings or financial situation you were in.

Like Julian, you have used this forum to promote your business, which has left a sour taste in the mouths of many.

shum
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:43 AM

Hello,

I had planned to avoid making any contribution to this discussion, which seems to be getting nastier by the minute, but in the interest of clarity I will state the following:

I have never taken commissions or bookings which were not fairly earned. When I parted ways with my former business partner it was agreed that each person would retain responsibility for his own clients, as often happens when a partnership collapses. My clients were given the option of staying with my former business partner if they wished to do so. None did.

I have no relationship with MoiraS other than as someone who reads her posts on the forum.

Finally, I have NEVER claimed to be the 'resident expert' on Botswana! That statement was made in my absence and without my approval. I have refuted it several times and do so here again to put the issue to rest. (I'm really not sure why a claim made by another person over a year ago has had more weight than my own statements on this matter -- though it may have to do with the deletion of the thread where I refuted it most clearly). Perhaps I should have made more noise about the fact that I didn't subscribe to the claim (in fact I think that the whole idea of a resident expert on Botswana is silly -- people may be experts on particular camps but no one is an expert on the whole country) but making a lot of fuss is not my style, and most people didn't seem to take it that seriously.

Like anyone who has travelled to Botswana (or another country) I'm happy to make recommendations based on my experience. I've since been back to Botswana several times (most of them as a paying client), but I do not lay any claim to being the resident expert on Botswana.

This is my final and only word on this matter.

Cheers,
Julian
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:00 AM

All this makes me wonder what kind of crowd am I hanging out with here?!

This is more intriguing than a Tom Clancy novel with secret agents, operatives, and double agents, and aliases. I am so dull by comparison.

We may never know the real stories behind all of these characters and the motivations and true intentions that drive their names, posts, and advice.

Regarding Hari's comment on ultra-lux--it inflates the cost of an already expensive excursion to the point of transforming swaths of game-rich areas into playgrounds for only the very wealthy. It is a sad and destructive pairing--the bush and extreme hedonism--in my opinion.

Anyway, for me all this just reinforces caveat emptor and confirms my personal bent toward cynicism. Maybe that's why nature is so appealing to me--there is no BS or duplicity. (OK, there's the Viceroy imitating the and the Monarch and such)

Now Iím ready to start talking about honey badgers, the small cats, and best locations for lions again.

Dec 1st, 2007, 07:24 AM

There is a difference in "retaining responsibility" for clients and hijacking existing bookings to a new company. Try this in the corporate world and see how that goes.

The clients that took their booking to a new company would not have been wronged had their bookings been viewed as CANCELLATIONS and had the deposits which were paid to the lodge been demanded to be repaid.

I hate to air dirty laundry but I will no longer be villified when I was placed in such a compromised position. I have said my piece and I am vindicated from any wrongdoing.
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:30 AM

I never post comments on topics such as this, but all I can say is "Amen" to Lynn's last statement!
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM

What does your partnership agreement say concerning the disolution of the partnership? Does it say you can take the clients current business with you? And is the business brought in by the both of you shared and expenses shared? When did this happen? While Rocco was 'out'?
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM

I can't remember that I made any statement about you since your reappearance, Rocco, so I think some of your comments here are simply misplaced.
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:45 AM

Mitch, yes, you are correct. My apology.
Dec 1st, 2007, 08:02 AM

Mukango,

There was never an agreement to allow confirmed bookings to be hijacked, if that is what you are asking. Only Julian would know the final number, but I am guessing anywhere from $125-$150,000 in bookings confirmed with deposits that were hijacked (unfortunately, deposits were paid to lodges giving one outfit an incredible headstart while severely handicapping the other outfit and its remaining clients). You seem to be in the industry, do the math on how much commission is represented on those numbers...those commissions.

Anyway, Julian has a new stomping ground now is very busy at www.tripadvisor.com in search of fresh meat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO