Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Has anyone visited Birkenhouse Hotel or Birkenhead Villas recently (Hermanus)

Has anyone visited Birkenhouse Hotel or Birkenhead Villas recently (Hermanus)

Oct 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone visited Birkenhouse Hotel or Birkenhead Villas recently (Hermanus)

Curious if anyone has been to Birkenhead in Hermanus recently? We need to make a choice to either stay at the hotel or the new villas right next door. Both have the exact view, both have same owner, both are 5 star. Birkenhead Hotel has 11 rooms, Birkenhead Villas only has 5 rooms. Trying to decide which one to choose. Appreciate your opinions.
Mar 19th, 2012, 08:11 AM

My Wife and I just returned from a three week trip to SA. While there, we spent 6 days with Singita at Ebony and Lebombo. We also stayed at La Residence in Franshoek (same owner) before Birkenhouse, so we had a pretty good idea what to expect. we weren't disappointed. The service and food was excellent. The staff was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The property is more beautiful and the view better than photos can reflect. The only less than exceptional thing I would point out is that there is no air conditioning or fan in the rooms. They are very comfortable while the doors are open, but without screens, we were reluctant to leave the doors open at night and the room got a bit stuffy. I am sure they would have provided a fan if we had stayed longer and requested it. They are quite accommodating. All in all, I would rate it exceptional.

Search this Thread