Search

Petra Moon Tourism

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petra Moon Tourism

Hi, I am a solo traveller looking to go to Jordan in April. I have researched a lot of tour companies and guides and I have been most impressed with Petra Moon tours. I am interested in booking one of their guaranteed departure small group tours, World Heritage Tour. I am just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with this company? I found very few reviews on this site and others but all seem to be favorable. They require a 50% deposit which I think is kind of steep so I want to make sure they are a good, reputable company! Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM

We used Petra Moon in October this year and we were very impressed. The hotels were excellent, the drivers fantastic and the price was reasonable. If I had one complaint, it would be our guide. We didn't know until the end that he wasn't technically certified and we did find him a bit lacking.

The 50% deposit is strange because we didn't pay a penny until we got to Jordan. As a matter of fact, we didn't pay until we got to Petra, three days into our trip.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Just one thought-the guide, to me, is the most important part of a trip in this part of the world. I am surprised that Petra Moon employs one who "is lacking."

Pat
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:19 AM

That lacker is a part owner of the company (if the same guy I am thinking of) but guiding is the only job he is qualified for, somewhat. One of the hazards of a family business.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM

It didn't seem like he was part owner. He kept having to phone Wendy to clarify stuff.

There were a few things that irked us. For one, he never wanted to get up early, whereas we are always anxious to get going. We had to stop lots so he could have something to eat or have a smoke break. He hired guides at Jerash and Petra, which we had to pay for and I thought that was odd since wasn't I already paying for a guide? What's the point of having a guide if I have to pay for another guide? I might as well just have a driver. He would also drop us off at places and let us fend for ourselves. The whole experience seemed kind of strange. It was only at the end of the trip that he said he wasn't certified to be a guide, since it costs something like $5000 to become a guide in Jordan (I'm not sure if this is true).
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 02:51 PM

I didn't use Petra Moon for my Jordan tour, but I wanted to say that I also paid my operator a 50% deposit. It seems like the norm, especially if they need to hold hotel rooms for you. You may want to ask what the cancellation policy is and how much, if any, of your deposit you'd get back.

As a side note, be sure you are clear on if you have a driver or guide with you and what their roles are for each place you visit. Ask for specifics and be clear about your expectations. Lessons learned: Don't assume, read all the fine or missing print and enjoy Jordan. It's a great place to visit!
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Well I went ahead and booked and paid my deposit. Now I just have to count the days until April! I can't wait to visit Jordan, especially Petra. I went to Egypt this past summer and I could have pinched myself for not taking more time off to explore Jordan since I was so close, but I assured myself that I would devote an entire trip to it someday. I just didn't expect to have the opportunity so soon! Anyway, thanks everyone who responded. I feel comfortable with choosing Petra Moon and I know I will have a great time. I will be sure to post a trip report when I come back!
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM

We enjoyed Jordan so much more than Egypt...you'll have a great time. And unlike Egypt people aren't standing with their hand out waiting for your money!
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Hello TNT,

I also traveled with Petra Moon with a couple of friends, and they were fantastic! we crossed the border to Jordan from Israel, and a driver waited for us and drove us to Wadi Rum, where a Beduin guide with a 4x4 gave us a great tour, and then our loyal driver, who spoke passing English, drove us to Wadi Musa, where we stayed in the 5 star hotel"Beit Zaman" for 2 nights. We also had a very knowledgable guide in Petra, and on the last day we asked for an extra d-tour to Little Petra, which was quite cool, before we were driven back to the Israeli border. We did not pay a thing until the last day, which really surprised us, since they did not even had our credit card numbers. This was an "A La Carte" tour that my 2 friends and I put together, with some useful input from Petra Moon. It all worked incredibly well, and made for great memories. I highly recommend them and hope to do another trip with them at some point. I hope your trip just as good.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM

Hi
I'm a bit late for this Post but just wanted to add my thoughts on Petra Moon. The company we booked through sub contracted to Petra Moon and we were very happy with the guide and the company as a whole.
While in Petra we befriended one of donkey drivers and met his family. We sent a small thank you gift and photo for his family's hospitality via Petra Moon as we didn't have an accurate address (he lived in the Bedouin Village above Petra). The parcel was delivered on our behalf - I thought that this was above and beyond the call of duty.
OzJane
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM

TNT:

Did you go on the trip? Did you use Petra Moon?