Has anyone stayed at the CC Africa lodge at Madikwe?

Jan 29th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the CC Africa lodge at Madikwe?

I'm returning to South Africa for a second time, and I'm considering combining the new CC Africa lodge at Madikwe with Londolozi (where I stayed last year). However, since the lodge at Madikwe is so new, I haven't been able to find out much about it. Has anyone stayed there? What do you think?

Any general information on Madikwe, and how it is similar to/differs from the Sabi Sand would also be appreciated.
Jan 30th, 2005, 05:04 AM
sandi

Do a search in the box at the top of the page - enter Madikwe, click "find" on the right. A number of threads will appear at the left column.

There have been a few threads regarding Madikwe in recent months, though I don't believe the posters had visited at Madikwe.

However, for what it is worth, I believe when Barbara Walters took her recent vacation, she stayed at Madikwe. LOL!

Jan 31st, 2005, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I checked the other threads and the reserve sounds wonderful, but I couldn't find out much about the CCA lodge -- I guess not too many people have stayed there yet, as it only opened in November 2004. I was also surprised to read that off-road driving isn't allowed in the reserve.

My concern is rooted in what I've read about Singita Lebombo -- that the game viewing isn't up to part with the other Singi lodges because it's newer and the rangers are not as familiar with the area. So I'm wondering if I would be better off going with one of the more established Madikwe lodges, like Jaci's. But I have to admit that the idea of sharing my safari with lots of small children (which they make an effort to welcome at Jaci's) makes me shudder.
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:06 AM
sandi

jasher - Lebombo is about 4-years old, so I can't believe that the Rangers are unfamiliar with the area. In fact the Ranger we had at Singita Ebony, Colin, who was just the best there is, was repositioned to Lebombo for his expertise. However, I can't say whether Colin is still at Lebombo, or has since maybe been repostioned to Singita's still newer camp. As to comments re gameviewing and animal sightings, one also has to remember, that these might have to do with visitor's expectations versus what is reality, especially when it comes to animals - season, time of day, whatever.

As to a camp that welcomes children - Jaci's - children (whatever the ages) are going to be in a vehicle with their parents and not likely to be paired with couples or friends who are staying at the camp. If especially young children, often they even eat separately.

As with any other concern you have (food, hours, other activities, etc.), this should be directed to the camp so there are no misunderstandings.

Search this Thread