Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at St Catherine's Monastary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has stayed overnight at the Monastary accommodation, and what their thoughts were?

Also, how did you book? Can you just turn up or do you recommend booking in advance? I could ring them, but I'm not sure if they would speak english?

Hope someone can help! THanks
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Slide Away,

I am familiar with the lodging at the monastery. It is clean and comfortable with a small restaurant on-site. You should definitely call to book in advance as they are often fully booked with pilgrimage groups from all over the world. Of course, it's always possible to find a room on walk-up but I would never risk it. Best chances - if you choose to do that - are before noon.

Yes, you will find someone who speaks English though Arabic and Greek are the staff's main languages. If you have a problem booking ask for Moussa, the manager.

Best,
doo
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice, I'll try giving them a call!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Slide Away,

If you are calling from the States:

011-20-69-247-0353, Auberge St. Catherine. (The prefix may have slightly changed since Moussa gave me his card.)

If you have another significantly different number it might be the monastery itself which is NOT what you want to call.

Best wishes,
-doo

Ps. Please report back and let us know if you got through okay
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Dear Doohickey,

You seem to know so much about Africa, I hope you don't mind one more question...we are docking in Port Said for one day, and we desparately want to see St. Catherine's Monastery. Is driving from Port Said to Mt. Sinai and back in one day realistic? If so, do you know if Abanoub Travel has this sort of service? Any help you might be able to offer is very much appreciated.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM

It's not to be missed-We stayed in town -but St Catherine's is the real deal. A emotional blast.

Thomas
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM

It was the hotel right in town-a nice one.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Constantine,

Aw shucks. I don't know a whole lot about Africa but I'm pretty familiar with St. Catherine's

Whether you can get to St. Catherine's and back in one day from Port Said depends on the earliet time you can get off your ship and what time you are required to board again. I'm sure Abanoub can set it up for you to have a driver meet you at the dock, scoot you out to St. Catherine's and get you back to the dock. But I don't know if you'll have enough time for the drive and visit. (The drive is about 4hrs one-way from a Cairo airport hotel.)

Also, the monastery is closed on Sundays to visitors. Perhaps Wed. and Fri, too - I can't remember for sure. But, also importantly, it is closed to visitors on major feast days of the Eastern Orthodox calendar and they are on the old calendar - 13 days behind the western calendar.

I hope you can make it there!

-doo
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Doo,

Thanks for the info! If it's 4 hrs from Cairo, I don't think we'll have enough time, but I'm going to check w/Abanoub to make certain.

Thanks again for your help,
Constantine