Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Has anyone stayed at Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge in Namibia?

Has anyone stayed at Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge in Namibia?

Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:25 PM
Maria

Has anyone stayed at Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge in Namibia?

Hi there!

I am currently researching a trip to Namibia for next July or August.

I would like to stay at Sossusvlei Mountain lodge for 3-4 nights, and was wondering if anyone has stayed, knows someone who has, and what your review of it would be.

Also, I am trying to put together an itinerary. We have two weeks - coming from New York. Can you please provide any comments on it and/or advice?

Days 1-4 Windhoek - Hotel Furstenhof
Days 4-8 Sossusvlei - Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge?
Days 8-11 Etosha - either Ongava Lodge or Etosha Aoba Lodge
Days 11-14 Swakopmund - Swakopmund Hotel and Entertainment Center
Day 15 Depart

Does this itinerary sound like it will give us "The Best of Namibia"? Thank You!!

Jan 18th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Maud

I didn't sleep in the lodge but had buffet diner there and slept at a campsite.
The diner was so wonderfull and cheap that we ate there two days in a row.
The rest of the lodge looked great but beside that I don't think you have another option and sossuvlei is a must

Jan 21st, 2003, 02:30 PM
Michael

I am also a NYer and visited Namibia last August. I visited all the places you mentioned except Swakopmund -- I just didn't see the attraction. But if you do intend to go to Swakopmund, you can more easily visit from Sossusvlei so I'd suggest switching your visits to Sossosvlie and Etosha.

Some other comments -- I think four days in Windhoek is too much unless you're visiting friends or family and have a specific reason for being there. There is not much to see, and you can see the entire town in an afternoon. I also think four days is too much in Sossosvlei, but its beautiful and unique, and if you really like desserts it might be enjoyable for four days. I stayed at the Sossosvlei Lodge right near the gate into the park, and it was great. Etosha for me was the absolute highlight -- I stayed at Ongava for one night and then made my way through the park with one night at each lodge within the park. Not nearly as luxurious as Ongava, and you'll need your own car, but I really liked it.

Search this Thread