Has anyone rented a vehicle from Hertz in Namibia?

Old Oct 19th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone rented a vehicle from Hertz in Namibia?

The rate I'm getting from Hertz is lower than from agencies like Cardboard Box, etc. Is there any reason not to rent directly from Hertz? The added benefit I see of renting directly (rather than through a third party booking agency) is that I could use my Amex and be covered by their Premium rental insurance which seems to offer more coverage than the car company's CDW at a much lower cost. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I rented directly from Avis in Namibia -- granted, its not Hertz, but I generally view them as interchangeable. I can't see why you'd be better renting indirectly than directly. For what its worth, I had a very good experience with Avis. While parked overnight at Etosha, someone knocked my rear view mirror off, and since I had taken insurance, I was only charged a minimal deductible ($25 or so).
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
DJE

We also had a positive experience with Avis during our trip this past June. We originally booked with a company "JeepRent" who ended up being extremely disreputable and after some serious unresolved issues, we fortunately ended up with a suitable vehicle from Avis. I'm sure Hertz would be similar.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious since many here seem to arrange everything through one agency. I thought maybe there was some compelling reason to do so, other than the convenience of one stop shopping, that hadn't occurred to me.

DJE,
Thanks also for the warning about JeepRent.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Patty, I did work with Cardboard Box to book my accomodations (Ongava and the three camps in Etosha), but I used avis.com to book my rental car.