Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had any animals in their room at Sabuk or Shompole?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this is kind of a silly question. But I was looking for more information about both of these properties and I found an article discussing Shompole in the Londom Times (an article about hip hotels) and the author said the host told him that he was lucky that a leopard liked to drink from his private pool at night.

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/arti...3801_2,00.html
(2nd Page - Africa)

While I would love to see a leopard, I am not sure if I want to see one that close, andI will be traveling with my two children, so it is a little worriesome.

Thanks, Heather
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:38 PM

Heather, you really shouldn't worry. These things do happen (read Carla's "How scary...." thread right through), but in reality they are quite rare, and if rules are followed and good sense is used, there's very little danger. I hate to trot out the old cliche about getting run over by a bus tomorrow, but it's true. Unlike buses, wild animals are afraid of humans and would rather avoid them.

There's a safari boss in northern Botswana who is sometimes visited by the local leopard. One night he looked up from his paperwork (yes, they do paperwork) to see the leopard peering through his window, staring at a moth fluttering around his reading light. This is not a moment of fear; it's one of delight and wonder.

John
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
santharamhari

John,

Having been on a million safaris, have you ever had a time when, u have had to wait out in your tent due to either ellies or predators in front of your room or on the path to the main deck area?

From memory, i think i had two wait-outs for hippo on the path.....and these were almost resident hippos!!! Although, from my private deck at Mombo, i did see leopard trying to stalk the letchwe.

Hari

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:35 PM

I had a few waits from elephants that hung around my tent at Chongwe. There was one who looked over the bamboo fence and watched me shower...I swallowed a mouthful of water! He kept coming back and waiting outside the tent for the next couple of days. elephant love or envy?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:58 PM

It's not a silly question at all. Although you certainly shouldn't take that article too seriously, you should think about whether you are ready to sleep with your kids partially in the open in Kenya (other posters should note neither place is in an area of very high game density but the rooms are as open as possible while retaining privacy and cannot - I believe - be closed up). This really is the attraction of the Shompole and Sabuk accommodations. I just can't imagine either of these places as dangerous but I think the 'possibilities' are intended to be a bit thrilling, and there are options with fences if that sort of thrill is going to make you or the kids too nervous. My wife would have killed me if I'd booked her into either place first time in Africa - at least until she learned to really "feel" that the animals were unlikely to harm her, rather than just be told and "understand" it. It's a very psychological thing.

Here's a question to ponder....

You wake in the middle of the night. It is very dark, although the light from a million stars means you can make out vague outlines. There is something rustling just out of eyesight, behind the "wall" of your open-fronted room. There is supposed to be a masaai guard nearby but you can't see him or hear him - can you take it on trust that he is there and that he is awake? The rustling is louder - it's certainly much bigger than a rat... There is a horrible blood-curdling scream from far away, and then another 2 or 3 from much closer.... you don't know what it is but it sounds like it is being murdered! The rustling gets even closer... and then you can see a vague shadowy outline just beyond your room, and feel eyes on you. There is nothing between you and it. You cannot identify what it is.

.... are you a bit scared but thrilled and intrigued and so glad to be in Africa .... or seriously wanting to get your children out of there right now?

Of course, a second later as your eyes adjust you see it is just your butler laying out your morning tea and having dropped the sugar sachets he's scrabbling around trying to find them in the dark.... ;-)
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Also, Heather, I wonder how are you going to stop your 5-year olds wandering at night? (The answer is very relevant to your question actually because if there are special precautions being arranged they would certainly affect how you feel).

Sandi can perhaps tell you teh exact set-up with guards at these two places.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:53 PM

Hari,

Never. If it had, I would have had mixed feelings...I don't like anything which delays the start of a drive, but heck, if it was the local pride, well, that might be different.

John

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:44 AM
santharamhari

Thanks John.

Hi Dennis, yes....ellies i guess are always around camp. Remember some recent pics from one of the trips, lots of ellies in the camps from the LZ.

Hari

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:05 AM
sandi

While Shompole is a beauty, it's not a place for children or the elderly (or others) who may have physical limitations.

There are no walls, floors drop off everywhere, there are no barriers/guard rails, lots of steps in rooms/houses and they're all multi-level. The floors in the rooms are highly polished and slippery (you're better walking barefoot). And there is a pool smack dab in the middle of your room.

Even with a few drinks under ones belt, who knows what kind of trouble an adult visitor could encounter.

Leopard or any other animal coming for a drink would be my last concern (if traveling with children). The comment made to the writer in the article was more than likely 90% untrue... just something to get ones adrenalin going. Animals (other than monkeys) are not likely going to walk up the hills to these rooms. Besides, if there were a predator around, the askaris would be schooooing it away in a New York minute. These guys are amazing.

Besides, if seeking lots of game, this is not the place to choose. Sure, there is game, but not the numbers you'd find elsewhere - Mara, Samburu, Amboseli, etc. Game drives are very early morning or very very late at night (10pm) as it's quite hot during the day (think Las Vegas).

Even Shompole emphasizes children should be closely watched and monitored - the place really isn't
"child-friendly."

All that said - Shompole is definitely worth a visit for adults.

Sabuk, on the other hand, though all bandas are open to the air (no window or screens), the room is basically closed. The only area that is relatively open, is the walk to the loo which is located in the room - behind the sleeping area, or upstairs - varies depending.

However, even at Sabuk, there is danger for young children if not carefully watched. All bandas have a floating mattress off the outside opening, hanging over the Ewaso Nyiro River. It's great for a mid-day snooze or sleeping under the stars (mossie nets surround it). Fooling around on this is not a good idea.

Otherwise, Sabuk is child-friendly, if their parents or others have eagle eyes and the kids know the rules of what they can or cannot do/go/play. The local community is right nearby and staff walk around the camp regularly. You will often find animals walking thru - we saw Bambi outside our door returning from breakfast. We walked past and Bambi went on it's way.

Note, however, the previous manager at Sabuk had her young 6-yr living here, but this child is borne & bred Kenyan and has been aware of her surroundings since birth and had a respect for her environment - animals, plant-life, etc. It's not quite the same for western children.

There are many beautiful, luxurious properties in Kenya, and though children are warmly welcomed and tended to, not all properties are suited for young'uns or those with physical limitations.

Hope this helps.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I am not too worried about them actually wondering around at night. They have never gotten up before during the night and wondered around. I will be in the same tent with them, zipped up where there is one. If they do wake up, I am the first one to know, since they don't even go to the bathroom at home during the night without having me come with them. We have traveled with them before and they have always been fine.

I think the article just got me worriying and I let my imagination run wild, picturing a leopard in the room drinking from the lap pool. One of the kids waking up and making a noise and the leopard being attracted to the noise.

I have already paid at this point, and I am probably just thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong. I don't know as though waiting until they were three or four years older would make me feel any different.

I have also read the other article about putting the plastic ties in the tent zipper so it cannot be opened. Just as a precaution, not because I truly believe they will be venturing out alone.

I have talked with the travel agent and she assure me that these places are very child friendly, she tried to take this into consideration when we booked. Elephant Pepper Camp where we are also staying used to have a resident 3 or 4 year old before they left earlier this year.

Both my husband, myself and my father all keeping a eagle eye on the children. I like to go on vacation to spend time with them. We we will be watching them intently, since my father is an even bigger worrier than I am.

Shompole probably isn't the first place for child safety, but honestly I am not sure when I was going to get another opportunity to stay there, since this became my big blow out Safari: Sabuk, Elephant Pepper Camp, Shompole, Mnemba and Giraffe Manor.

Thank you for all of your responses and suggestions.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM

"While I would love to see a leopard, I am not sure if I want to see one that close, andI will be traveling with my two children"

Different country, but you might want to read this link to the story of a leopard killing a young French boy at a lodge in Tanzania last year ... a reminder to keep a close eye on your kids, even at the lodge.

http://www.arushatimes.co.tz/2005/39/front_page_3.htm

http://www.arushatimes.co.tz/2005/40/local_news_1.htm

Bill
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
sandi

At Elephant Pepper, little Elliot was about 3-yrs, and under the watchful eyes of a full-time nanny and his mom Jilian when not busy with camp duties.

At Elephant Pepper, they now have new Bedouin style tents with en-suite loos. They're lovely. Here, you are right out on the plains, but askaries walk the grounds 24/7.

At Shompole, with a family, you may be assigned the family room with a large 7' king size bed that gets zipped for the night. There are two twin beds to the left (directions are all facing the king bed bed) each with indivdual mossie nets. The toilet is to the right of the king bed (a short walk) where you'll also find two wash basins. The shower is clear over on the left of the beds, down a few steps, behind a stone wall... it's large, but again, no guard rail (just the bushes and trees out there) and a washbasin here. The pool is in the front of the king bed, down a few steps.

If you wish to have your children closer, the 7' bed is more than sufficient and you'll all be zipped in. This room is also second from the highest on the hill.

I would, therefore, suggest you inquire as to the room that would best fit your situation. Surprisingly, even though the larger rooms are outstanding, my preference was the smallest, where things were much closer to one another... probably comes from the fact that I'm familiar with small NYC apartments. Like the cockpit of a plane where you just reach out and everything is right there.

There are also pebble (large 2"or 3" white stones) at all room entries and around the pool; elsewhere these is sand. Running is not suggested.

At Sabuk, there is one banda that has a loft bed which kids seem to like. Below the loft are two double beds. At Sabuk, the mossie nets are weighted and simply dropped around the beds at night (not zipped in). Ask about this loft room or any other room that would be suitable for your family.

Understand, I'm not trying to be alarmist, just feel you should know the surroundings you will find.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Sandi - Thank you for all of the information. That is just what I have been looking for about the lodges. I am planning on keeping them with me, just for my own piece of mind. My husband can sleep in the twin bed. I completely agree with being armed with knowledge. I will have to write a very detailed trip report when I return at the begining of Oct., since I have not been able to find any trip reports that have taken young children. (Maybe there is a reason for this... On the bright side of taking the kids, they were free at Mnemba since they are under 6.