Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Has anyone ever hit both Botswana and Kenya in one trip?

Has anyone ever hit both Botswana and Kenya in one trip?

Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone ever hit both Botswana and Kenya in one trip?

Just for the heck of it I typed in airfare for an open jaws itinerary: first to nairobi then from there to Gabarone. Then from Gabarone back home. The cost was the same as flying just to Botswana! Would I be stretching myself to thin with an approach like this?
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:24 AM

Depends on how much time you have. I have done Kenya and Zambia in one trip...Zambia & Bots, Zambia & Namibia in others. But I had 5 or 6 weeks in each case. And usually I knew one area well, and had a fairly compact itinerary in one of the countries.

You also need to research flights between Nairobi and Gaborone (if that's where you are going). I'm not sure if anyone flies non-stop between those cities so you may end up going thru Joburg, and possibly having to spend a night there. Also need to factor in the costs of the flight between Nairobi & Gaborone, as well as the actual time involved in those transfers. Since both trips will involve likely the additional time/expense of flights (or longer ground transport) out of these capitals, you have to factor that in too.

But if you have lots of time and want to maximize time in Africa (given your long flights to get there, this might make sense) it is do-able. What I would try to avoid is cutting short your time in either place to see a little bit of the other country. Both are worth more extended visits!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Tashak - thanks for the input. Actually, the itinerary includes the cost of all flights. It was actually less than the cost of just going in and out of Gabarone! I am still just researching my options and don't know how much time I would have for such a trip - but I can guarantee it won't be 5-6 weeks. Three weeks tops. I'm just so torn - always wanted to see Kenya/Tanzania - the crater, gorge, sergengeti, etc...BUt the abundant wildlife in the delta and just the looks of those places also very much intrigues me. I'm sure I'll pin it down eventually....Any thoughts on location for a first-timer?
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:11 PM

THAT choice is a tough one! Both very beautiful and exciting, and both worth a three week visit! I think you should go with your long-standing dream: you say you always wanted to see the Serengeti & Crater...so go with that! This board is a great resource, but don't let our comments about other places replace your longstanding dream.

There are lots of people on this board that know Kenya & Tanzania well, and they have posted great itineraries, trip reports, and comments on parks & camps...I'd search those out, then ask them for more specific advice. Sorry, my experience is with southern African countries (just one brief visit to Kenya with friends, tacked on to another trip).

For better or worse, you'll probably catch the "bug" and end up immediately planning your 2nd and 3rd trips right away.

Three weeks is a nice amount of time in one country or region, but you'll waste days if you jump around between regions. For example, when I took a morning nonstop flight from from Nairobi to Lusaka, it blew the whole day...I had to overnight in Lusaka before flying out of Lusaka the next day. Then blew most of the next day going back to the airport to fly to Mfuwe, my destination. So 2 days out of my itinerary for these transfers. It would be at least this much from Nairobi-Gabs-Maun, possibly more depending on the connections thru Harare or Joburg.
By the way, what site/search engine were you using to get airfares?...sounds like it could be a good resource.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:29 AM

With just three weeks at your disposal, I'd also recommend seeing one country or region properly rather than spreading yourself thin trying to see more.

I know overlanding trips routinely pack in 10 countries into as many days (ok, that's a slight exaggeration) but... they spend more time travelling than seeing.

And I'd also agree with Tashak's advice to go with your longstanding dream.

Southern Africa will still be there for the next trip - go and see what you've always longed to see in East Africa on this occasion.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks once again, everyone! Tashak - I just used Expedia for the airfare. Things have changed a bit though: My friend who is an ornithologist wants to join me, and she's already been to Tanzania. May "have" to go with Botswana!

Search this Thread