Has anyone been on a Ker & Downey safari?

May 16th, 2001, 03:07 PM
a.d.

Has anyone been on a Ker & Downey safari?

My family has never been to Africa and we're considering using Ker & Downey. Having heard stories of all that can go wrong, I'd like to hear some feedback before we forge ahead with our plans. Has anyone ever used Ker & Downey?
thanks.

May 17th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Hans

We did not use Ker & Downey--we ended up going with Abercrombie & Kent but when researching the various companies I only heard good things about K&D and one of my friends has since travelled with them and was very pleased. With that said, I could not have been more pleased with A&K. We did thier Wings Over Kenya trip last July and it was truly spectacular--the trip was planned beautifully and nothing (knock on wood) went wrong. The tented camps were simply amazing and the guide and drivers could not have been better. The highlight of any trip, however, is the wildlife and it is simply breathtaking to get off your first flight, turn around, see Mt. Kilimanjaro and a heard of elephant walking by less than 100 ft. from you--and that was just the first 10 minutes of the trip! I will definitely go back to Africa again and, necause of the wonderful experience, will likely return with A&K. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

May 21st, 2001, 09:58 AM
a.d.

Thanks for the good word. I'm glad to hear that your friend used K&D and was pleased. When you've never been to Africa before, it can all seem so overwhelming!
Your trip sounds like it was amazing... Thanks!

Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:05 AM
kavey

I've just got brochures through from K&D. From reading them I get the impression that they only sell fixed tours?

Can anyone advise if they also do bespoke trips for 2 travellers interested in putting their own itinerary together and not travelling as part of a group (however small)??

Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
Jimbo

A&K and Safari Magic are two I know of that will do custom trips for you. Both are excellent.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:31 PM
kavey

Thanks Jimbo,
I know also that Sunvil (who I used for my first trip) and Rainbow Tours will also do bespoke trips and am getting information about those too. I just wondered whetehr K&D also did this or not?
Thanks again
Kavey

Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:23 PM
Judi

Hi Kavey,
I just booked a private safari with Hoopoe ( I am not familiar with the term bespoke). My daughter and I decided where we wanted to go and they set it up for us. We will have our own private guide and vehicle but will stay in nice tented camps and lodges. I think the price is very reasonable. We will be going in November. BTW, thanks for posting a nice report on your safari.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:31 PM
Liz

We used Ker & Downey, Houston office, for a trip to Botswana in 1999. They do only private safaris for two or more. They show some examples on their website, but they also say that those are just to give you an idea of price, etc. They really prefer to custom tailor them. We went (2), and everything worked like clockwork. It was fantastic and we have stayed excited about that trip for over 2 years. It was wonderful. Now let me add that we stayed mostly in their camps and it was like the old Africa. Very nice camp managers and they have their own air in Botswana, Northern Air.
I haven't used them for East Africa and I don't think I would. They didn't seem as knowledgeable as for South Africa. They have their own office in Maun. I definately will go with them again but then we just loved their camps. They will also book you into any places in South Africa. If I can be of further help let me know. Liz

Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:21 AM
kavey

Liz
Thanks for the information and glad your trip went well.
I will definitely look into them further.
There are certain camps (which aren't K&D) which I want to stay in so they may not be the operator for me, and I am very likely to go with Sunvil again, who were very good last time, but I do like to know all my options before making final decision on something like this.
Thanks,
Kavey

Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:50 AM
Judi

Kavey, FYI: we are staying at Little Governors', Kirurumu Tented Lodge, Serengeti Serena and Ngorongoro Serena. We are flying into the Masai Mara and out of there to Kirurumu.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:13 AM
Liz

Good Morning Kavey-
Please don't misunderstand. If you are talking about South Africa, K&D can help you. They have the office in Maun and can book anywhere in SA. Since you are familiar with the websites available to look up camps recommended, I think you would be happy with them you can check to be sure its which camp you want. Its the details that surprised us. Never a missed beat. Everyone showed up to transfer us. Sometimes in the middle of nowhere. Fish Eagle Safaris in Houston is also good. They will book you into camps other than Wilderness if you request. Bert seems the most familiar with South Africa. We like him but we also liked K&D. Bert is handling our trip next Spring to Namibia/Botswana. I think Wilderness has the best camps but like I just requested Wolwedans and he recommended Huab Lodge when I wanted Lodges instead of tents for Namibia. Really seemed interested in details. That is just my opinion and I have been to Africa 7 or 8 times. Had lots of bad operators but these two seem to be top notch. Try KerDowney.com and Fisheaglesafaris.com. Just my humble opinion. Regards, Liz

Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:28 PM
kavey

Thanks all, Liz I hadn't realised you had experience of K&D when we were talking... thanks.
I believe you booked Wolwedans on my recommendation and am sure you will love it. Curious to know, did the agent know Wolwedans already and comment on it?
Thanks again folks,
Kavey

Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:34 PM
Liz

Kavey-
Yes, I saw your pictures and read your report and thought that I couldn't go there and not see it. (You have private email.) Liz

Search this Thread