Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Has anybody ever sponsored an exchange student from Africa or any other foreign country and know the process???

Has anybody ever sponsored an exchange student from Africa or any other foreign country and know the process???

Sep 10th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Has anybody ever sponsored an exchange student from Africa or any other foreign country and know the process???

My wife and I are strongly considering sponsoring a very young exchange student from Zambia. She is the five year old daughter of one of our rangers at the South Luangwa game lodge that where we stayed last June.

Depending on how it goes, it may just be for a year or two, or it may be long term. If it were long term, I would definitely make an attempt to send the child home for a couple months each year over summer vacation, hopefully often accompanying the child for a personal visit to South Luangwa.

I expect that the whole process would take at least a year or more.

What hurdles are we facing in sponsoring a child from Zambia and would this child be able to travel with us on future international holidays?

Anybody with any information, please respond.

Thanks.
Sep 10th, 2003, 12:15 PM
sandi

I recall you mentioning something about this in one of your trip reports. How very generous of both of you to do this.

However, I would believe that for such an undertaking you get information from the "horses mouth" - the U.S. Government and that of Zambia. What some countries allow and the programs they have in effect probably differ across a wide area of "do & don't".

Most programs that I have heard about have been with "older" students (at least 10 years and up) and mainly from Western Europe.

There are probably organizations that handle these exchanges all over the world, some secular and some religious, so I believe it's best you go to an official organization for correct and current information.

And your last comment about having the child travel with you Internationally can be a problem in some countries. Even (close to home) for grandparents or one parent taking a child to Mexico without documents and consent of the legal guardians is a major issue.

Let's hear what you learn and the kind of process for such an undertaking.

Search this Thread