Has anybody been to Ngala Private Game Reserve???

Feb 12th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Has anybody been to Ngala Private Game Reserve???

I am 1/4 the way to returning to South Africa!!! I was able to win an auction for four nights at the Twelve Apostles Hotel (5* Hotel in Camps Bay, Cape Town) for about 1/3 the price it would have cost me to book on my own.

Now, all I need is airfare, my private game reserve accomodations and accomodations in Madrid, Spain, where I will stay for four nights prior to South Africa to hopefully run the Madrid Marathon. Likely I will just stay a single night in Joburg or try to skip it altogether, if possible, due to time constraints.

I am considering a few different game reserves including Ngala, Djuma, Vuyatela and Idube.

I cannot even believe that the Rand is at 8.4 to the USD presently. Less than one year ago when I was there it reached 12 ZAR to 1 USD. I am not a mathmetician but that translates to a whopping 40% gain against the dollar in the last year.

Because of the substantial weakening of the dollar vs. the rand, I have had to be very creative in order to return to South Africa this year, but in the end, I think that despite the obvious obstacle of the 40% difference between the dollar and rand compared to last year, that by being very resourceful that I will ultimately save a lot of money over last years trip AND see a European city that I have never seen before (I've been to Spain but only to Marbella).

By breaking the trip up, I will not add a penny to the cost of the airfare. As an added bonus, it means that I will get a direct flight back to Europe from Africa, and then a direct flight from Europe to LAX. Last year I lived the nightmare of flying from Cape Town-Joburg-Cape Verde Islands-Atlanta-LAX all on the same 33 hour day!!!

In any event, any feedback on any of these second-tier game reserves will be very much appreciated. I've already experienced the best in Singita but I am willing to settle for comfortable accomodations this year.
For whatever its worth, Ngala did make the reserve list in Conde Nast Traveler's Gold List, an annual issue listing the top hotels in the world.
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

While I am on the subject, has anybody stayed at the Twelve Apostles in Cape Town??? Thanks.

Search this Thread