Search

Dining, Sandton, Cape Town and Knysna

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:36 PM
gil
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining, Sandton, Cape Town and Knysna

Need suggestions for lunch and dinner in Sandton. Staying at the Sandton Sun. Also dinner in Knysna, where I am told the seafood is exceptional, but where do I go?<BR>I have guide book recommendations for Cape Town waterfront dinners, but would welcome advice from local diners. Thanks, Gil
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Hi gil,<BR><BR>I was in Knysna a few weeks ago, lots of good eateries. I reckon the best of the bunch was Dry Dock, right on the harbour. Had a couple of good meals there. Dont bother with 34 South... completely overpriced. Had some nice lobster there but was stung on the price. Harry B's on the high street is a fun place, music some nights, good atmosphere there, v. friendly chatty staff. And opposite there, not seafood but exceptionally good value is a little Italian place, just pizza &amp; pasta, Mamma something or other (sorry, I forget!! could be Mamma Angela or something like that). Sandton I dont't know about I'm afraid. Cape Town, obviously lots of great places but my no. 1 recommendation would be Emily's. Would knock spots off anything in my home town (London). Its in the Clocktower part of the Waterfront. A very classy menu and a wine list that could take you all night to read. I would say the best meal we had in two weeks in SA (a week in Cape Town and a week in Kysyna). Cant recomend it enough. <BR><BR>Hope I'm no too late in replying to you for your trip. Have a great time! I'm sure you will have a good one.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Hi Gil,<BR><BR>Sandton is not my forte so I cant tell you anything about restauarnats in this areas.<BR><BR>When it comes to Knysna and cape Town I can tell you lots. I believe that Alison's advice is excellent in that most of the places she talks about are well worth a visit.<BR><BR>May I also add that in Knysna the place to eat at is without a shadow of a doubt La Loerie. The establishment is the oldest eatery in Knysna and is expertly run by Abdel and Sandy Rahmouni where you can enjoy their wonderful Afro-Euro cuisine. Be aware the restaurant can only seat 22 people so you have to book ahead.<BR><BR>If you are in Knysna you simply have to enjoy the local Oysters and to do this pay the Oyster factory a visit over lunchtime. Enjoy the coastal oysters which are the wild variety. You wont be sorry.<BR><BR>Another fabulous place to enjoy a great meal in an unbelievable setting is Tsala. http://www.tsala.com/ You will not be sorry if you would dine at this restaurant which is part of a very unique boutique hotel. Once again booking ahead of time is essential.<BR><BR>As far as Cape Town is concerned the below cut out comes from a Fodors post that I did a couple of months ago:<BR><BR>If you are looking for a fish restaurant my suggestions would be:<BR><BR>Willoughby’s in the Waterfront (no pre-booking at this restaurant)<BR><BR>Panama Jacks in the harbour. (447 3992)<BR><BR>The big hidden secret fish place in Cape Town is Tangos (7126631) This is a venue that locals seem to have kept to themselves. You will hardly ever see tourists at this local family type fish venue. It is rather far out of the city centre (25 minutes away in Kendall Road) but imho this is the very best fish restaurant in Cape Town. When you are in this restaurant you soon realise that fresh fish is being brought through the door minutes after being caught in the local Kalk Bay harbour. Furthermore if you want to find great varieties of local fish Tangos is the place to eat. My favourite fish that I generally eat at this venue is musslecracker. You will have to go hunting all over Cape Town for to find in another local restaurant serving this delicious fish variety.<BR><BR>Cape Town also has a reputation for spicy Cape Malay cooking and this cuisine could land you up in many places such as Biesmiellah which is a great Cape curry restaurant<BR><BR>The big secret for wonderful spicy food is Bibis (Tel: 7618635). This is the restaurant I would recommend most of all. Fabulous Indian cooking. Once again this venue is about 25 minutes out of the city centre and is situated in lower Kenilworth This is where our local Hindu community eat and the food is simply out of this world. Fair warning – No alcohol is served or allowed in this establishment. <BR><BR>Gil I imagine that you will be reading letters on most of the normal run of the mill restaurants in answers from others to your question. Make no error there are many other wonderful restaurants in Cape Town that are well worth visiting. The above list of restaurants are NOT the normal run of the mill recommendations that will be made in most “eat out book” recommendations. Willoughbys and Panama Jacks could well come in for mentioning in some of the above books or possibly by others writing to this page. Emilys (excellent restaurant however very expensive by Cape Town standards especially that famous winelist that Alison speaks of) would also be on this list. The restaurants mentioned in my above list are the ones that locals frequent and my advice always remains “when in Cape Town do eat what the Capetonians eat”. <BR><BR>Enjoy our great city when you visit us.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR><BR>Auth or: james<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Hi Gil,<BR><BR>Sandton is not my forte so I cant tell you anything about restaurants in this areas.<BR><BR>When it comes to Knysna and cape Town I can tell you lots. I believe that Alison's advice is excellent in that most of the places she talks about are well worth a visit.<BR><BR>May I also add that in Knysna the place to eat at is without a shadow of a doubt La Loerie. The establishment is the oldest eatery in Knysna and is expertly run by Abdel and Sandy Rahmouni where you can enjoy their wonderful Afro-Euro cuisine. Be aware the restaurant can only seat 22 people so you have to book ahead.<BR><BR>If you are in Knysna you simply have to enjoy the local Oysters and to do this pay the Oyster factory a visit over lunchtime. Enjoy the coastal oysters which are the wild variety. You wont be sorry.<BR><BR>Another fabulous place to enjoy a great meal in an unbelievable setting is Tsala. http://www.tsala.com/ You will not be sorry if you would dine at this restaurant which is part of a very unique boutique hotel. Once again booking ahead of time is essential.<BR><BR>As far as Cape Town is concerned the below cut out comes from a Fodors post that I did a couple of months ago:<BR><BR>If you are looking for a fish restaurant my suggestions would be:<BR><BR>Willoughby’s in the Waterfront (no pre-booking at this restaurant)<BR><BR>Panama Jacks in the harbour. (447 3992)<BR><BR>The big hidden secret fish place in Cape Town is Tangos (7126631) This is a venue that locals seem to have kept to themselves. You will hardly ever see tourists at this local family type fish venue. It is rather far out of the city centre (25 minutes away in Kendall Road) but imho this is the very best fish restaurant in Cape Town. When you are in this restaurant you soon realise that fresh fish is being brought through the door minutes after being caught in the local Kalk Bay harbour. Furthermore if you want to find great varieties of local fish Tangos is the place to eat. My favourite fish that I generally eat at this venue is musslecracker. You will have to go hunting all over Cape Town for to find in another local restaurant serving this delicious fish variety.<BR><BR>Cape Town also has a reputation for spicy Cape Malay cooking and this cuisine could land you up in many places such as Biesmiellah which is a great Cape curry restaurant<BR><BR>The big secret for wonderful spicy food is Bibis (Tel: 7618635). This is the restaurant I would recommend most of all. Fabulous Indian cooking. Once again this venue is about 25 minutes out of the city centre and is situated in lower Kenilworth This is where our local Hindu community eat and the food is simply out of this world. Fair warning – No alcohol is served or allowed in this establishment. <BR><BR>Gil I imagine that you will be reading letters on most of the normal run of the mill restaurants in answers from others to your question. Make no error there are many other wonderful restaurants in Cape Town that are well worth visiting. The above list of restaurants are NOT the normal run of the mill recommendations that will be made in most “eat out book” recommendations. Willoughbys and Panama Jacks could well come in for mentioning in some of the above books or possibly by others writing to this page. Emilys (excellent restaurant however very expensive by Cape Town standards especially that famous winelist that Alison speaks of) would also be on this list. The restaurants mentioned in my above list are the ones that locals frequent and my advice always remains “when in Cape Town do eat what the Capetonians eat”. <BR><BR>Enjoy our great city when you visit us.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR><BR>Auth or: james<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:08 AM

Hi Gil<BR><BR>You are spoilt for choice for restaurants in the Sandton complex (of which the Sandton Sun hotel is a part). It would help if you post some additions regarding preferences, dietary restrictions and price range. In the meantime the following are all in the Sandton City/Sandton Square complex and you will have a good meal at any of them:<BR>Butcher Shop and Grill (evening)<BR>Skewers (evening - same owners as above but slightly different concept)<BR>Rhubarb (my favourite! - best for lunchtime)<BR>Primi Piatti (lunch or dinner)<BR>Wang Thai (dinner - v.v. good)<BR>Life (lunch)<BR>Cucina (lunch or dinner)<BR><BR>If you have a hire car a whole host of excellent alternatives open up!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:00 PM

Hello Selwyn Davidowitz<BR> I am Patricia from Canada and I can't wait to go back to SA. Just loved it. I am so sorry I didn't know about you Selwyn when I was in Cape Town in november. Do you have a web site? Thanks a lot Patricia