Has any traveled on Rovos Rail or the Blue Train???

Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Has any traveled on Rovos Rail or the Blue Train???

One more thing that I am considering doing on my upcoming trip is taking either Rovos Rail or the Blue Train from Cape Town to Joburg.

That would save me a flight and a nights stay somewhere but even with flights and hotel, it will still probably add an extra $1000 USD since it costs about $1675 USD total, including all meals and drinks.

If anybody knows where I can get a good deal on Rovos Rail or the Blue Train I would appreciate it. My wife really wants to go on one of these luxury trains and since she hates flying, it would save me the grief of having to listen to her complain about too many flights on a single vacation.

It does seem incredibly expensive and there must be a way to get much lower prices. Thanks.
Feb 24th, 2003, 01:28 AM

Dear Roccco,
I do not know where you will get the best deal, but just remember that Rovos Rail takes 2 nights from Cape Town to Pretoria and Blue Train takes 1 night.
Stienie
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:21 PM

They are expensive but they are also the deluxe of the deluxe and are all inclusive. Also very heavily booked so if you are thinking of taking either one, better book well in advance. They both include tours on route eg. from Pretoria to Cape Town on the Blue Train you stop in Kimberley for a tour of the diamond area and see the Big Hole where every shovel full was taken out by hand.
It is definitely more than a train ride!
Mar 1st, 2003, 03:33 AM

Ive booked with the blue train for this august directly and have found no problems so far. They do book up quite quickly

The website is www.bluetrain.co.za

clare

Search this Thread