Hard time setting up SA itinerary

Mar 20th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Hard time setting up SA itinerary

Want to go on a short SA trip dec 26 till jan 2. we are 5, need 3 rooms i suppose
This is what i like:
day 1. Arrive Johannesburg 11 am, connect to Richards bay, proceed to Phinda or Thanda
day 2. Phinda or Thanda
day 3. Drive to Swaziland and stay overnight at Malelane Sun Presidential Suites or better if anyone knows something better.
day 4. Proceed to Singita or Londolozi or Simbambili or Lion sands Ivory lodge, depending on rates.
day 5. singita or above
day 6. Singita or above
day 7. drive to Walkersons Country Manor (Suites)
day 8. Continue drive back to Johannesburg and fly home.

How does this sounds, is anyone familiar with driving? I think it can cut a lot of costs since we are 5, and personally i enjoy driving better than the tiny planes, i experinced 6 flights last october in Zambia which were great but i still rather drive.

If i add up the lodges i come to approx:
Phinda Zuka ZAR 15,340.00/5 = 3068 pp. Thanda 4750 pp
Malelane sun max 1000 pp
singita Ebony website rate: 7140 pp
Walkersons Country Manor : max 1000 pp
total 29.556 ZAR. I might leave out one night at Singita and stay at Londolozi. We could even leave out the drive from Sabi back to Joho and skip the night at Walkerson country manor and just use a little plane for the last leg to Johannesburg

Then i would need a Jeep for 5 people and then a driver, how much would a jeep plus driver be for 7 days? Or is it fine to drive ourselfs?

I m hoping to receive comments on my itinerary, Also where can i cut costs, the rates i mentioned are rack rates, which company would offer me discounts.
Thanks for helping me
Mar 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Your itinerary for what it's worth is certainly doable.
I would compare costs of having a rental car from arrival in Richards bay, to having the transfers to and from, possibly you should pick up a car after phinda or other for your onward drive, it might save a couple of $$.

Then I would look at Mkuze Falls lodge, it has a tented camp that is less $$ than those that you have mentioned.

I last stayed at the Malelane Sun 8 years ago, not qualified to comment, but it's a decent place if you are a golfer/gambler. You might find a less expensive B&B if yoou are just there to break the journey into the sabi sands.

The drive to JNB from Sabi Sands is five hours, you probably don't need to overnight anywhere on this leg, so just head straight for the airport, which means another night in the reserve. If you saved som $$ in KZN, then this could be within your budget.

Search this Thread