Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Hang out in aswan till 3:00AM while waiting for the abu simbel convoy?

Hang out in aswan till 3:00AM while waiting for the abu simbel convoy?

Sep 1st, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Hang out in aswan till 3:00AM while waiting for the abu simbel convoy?

Hello,
I'm thinking of taking the 3:00 AM convoy to abu simbel from aswan.
If the convoy leaves at 3:00 am, i'll probably have to be up at 2:00 am anyway, so i'm thinking that maybe i can get by without a hotel room for the night(travelling on a budget, every $ counts).

With that end in mind, a few questions:

first off, good idea? bad idea? opinions please. i've used lots of cheapo,backpacker tricks like this before with reasonable success, but mostly in europe, where u can almost certainly find a comfortable chair, food and drink at the airport/train station. egypt, i'm not so sure about.

Where does the convoy typically start from? Is there a central point?

Is there some place in Aswan where i can safely leave my luggage? Failing that, is it ok to carry my luggage to abu simbel on the convoy? my luggage consists of 1 backpack.

I'm either flying or taking the train, haven't decided yet to aswan from luxor. either way, i expect to arrive in aswan at around 9:00 pm. any suggestions on what to do in aswan from 9:00 pm to 3:00 am? any bars, latenight shows, off the beaten track places? or is my only option to go to a hotel lobby and wait for the clock to strike 3?

ps:
i love this forum!!! many thanks to all who contribute.
Sep 1st, 2004, 02:35 PM
sandi

Ok Raj - you've got me. I know nothing about how the backpackers do it, so someone else is going to have to assist here, so nless someone else can help, I suggest you check out the thorntree site whose posters will probably have ideas, suggestions.

For me it's been too many years since I didn't know where I'd put my head down, and even then I still had a roof over my head... except for one summer when we slept on a beach somewhere. Toooooo many years ago. LOL!

And a suggestion for future postings here. Try to keep everything with regard to your original thread together. Even though you've asked additional questions and have new situations, it's easier to find it all in one place.

Whatever or however you do it, do report back when you return. We will expect a trip report - doesn't have to be long, but we want to know! Have a great time and travel safe.

Search this Thread