Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hand baggage size restrictions in Britain relaxed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5367096.stm

All liquids are still banned, but this is an excellent change for those of us who refuse to check our bags.

I will be headed to Namibia & South Africa soon, and just received confirmation from my first safari lodge that the duffel bag I shipped has arrived successfully. It cost me about $100 US to send the bag via the US Post Office's Global Express Mail. Now, my toiletries and excess baggage will be waiting for me upon arrival, with no need to check a bag or purchase supplies along the way!

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM

The one thing keeping me from flying through London is that I believe only one carry-on bag is allowed. Through everywhere else, I believe I may have a carry-on PLUS a laptop.

I was listening to the radio this morning and the one group that this restriction does not apply is to musicians who are allowed to carry on their musical instruments. Unfortunately, the same courtesy has not been extended to photographers!

Therefore, I will probably fly LAX - Sydney - JNB or even possibly LAX - Paris - JNB.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:12 AM

I'm spending the next 3 months in Kenya. Still not sure if they will let me check my guitar as hand luggage. That plus camera bag with laptop may be pushing it. I wait with baited breath! Leaving on Sunday the 1st of October.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM

Fantastic news I've been hoping for!

Now my Rolling CompuTrekker Plus can go back in action and carry my cameras, a lens or two, plus laptop and external drives on board with me.

What a relief... I was starting to think I'd have to buy another Pelican.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 03:44 PM

Hi Jim,

That Computrekker Plus looks a bit on the small side. Are you able to fit all of your photogear within this one backpack?

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...r_Plus_AW.aspx

The photo backpack that I have is much larger but so large that I worry every time whether or not the airline will allow me to have it as a carry-on. I don't really want to go through that stress...I got away with it last time but that was in business class. This time around it is economy class unless something opens up very soon where I may use my ff miles.

I wish my backpack had wheels!

Thanks.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM

Hi Rocco,

FWIW I usually take both a laptop and another bag as carry-ons when going to medical conferences, and I've never had problems getting both on board (even when I'm in coach) flying out of Heathrow or Gatwick. On my most recent trip I took a camera bag (Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home) and another small shoulder bag with books, etc in it and carried both onboard with no problems for the Virgin flight to Joburg.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:58 PM

Julian -
There's only ONE carry-on being allowed at present. Be careful to check things out to avoid an unpleasant situation.

Rocco -
I transport my big lenses and the majority of my camera gear in a Pelican 1620.

I used to carry all my gear on board on SAA (believe it or not) way back in the "good ole days". Now I put the Pelican in checked luggage. I have locks on it and once they search it, I lock it up again.

The CompuTrekker is just for my 2 camera bodies, a zoom lens and computer equipment. This way, in case the Pelican goes bye-bye, I'll still come home with images.

I leave my tripod, ballhead, extra batteries, flash, binos, rechargers, and other misc gear, plus my safari clothing and shoes, all in JNB at the in-laws' house (which is a big convenience).

Having wheels on the carry-on is a must, especially since we now tote our son (11 months now) along in a stroller. Traveling with an infant (which we did this past June) brings a whole new perspective to long flights, I can assure you. Doing it all again in 2 months' time.

James
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:50 AM

lucky dog
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:55 PM

Can anyone confirm (via actual experience) the "relaxed" carry-on size restrictions in the past few days?

I'd feel more comfortable hearing from someone who has departed from London, especially on Virgin.

Anyone yet?

Thx,
James
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Hi James,

I flew LHR-SFO with two carry-ons on September 14 (before the restrictions were relaxed). Same thing on the way back. One was a laptop, and the other was a camera bag. Both were under the minimum size, though the camera bag was a bit on the fat side.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Sorry -- forgot to note that, as usual, I flew Virgin.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Julian -

Thanks; this eases my mind a bit more.

Did they measure bags by making you put them into a sizing container or did they just visually eyeball people's bags?

If you got 2 on board BEFORE the restrictions, were they both under the size limit at the time or was this bag size thing not really being enforced?
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Hi James,

Both of my bags were well under the size limit. The camera bag was a bit deeper than it should have been but was much smaller in the other dimensions.

My bags underwent an eyeball check, though I did see some people whose bags were borderline being asked to fit them into wooden sizing boxes. I think that if I had had two borderline-size bags I might have had to check one of them.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Hello,

One other thing -- I found that you can still take Chapstick and similar types of lip balm on board despite the liquid ban.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:57 PM

Julian,

Thanks for the add'l info.

I think I'm OK with my new bag now.

Matt is also traveleing to London in the very near future and I'll get an update from him on this as well.

I'd like to keep this post updated if anyone else has any experience and wants to add...

Thx,
James
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Announced today:

Air travelers departing from the US will be allowed to take drinks bought at the airport onto planes and to have small amounts of liquids and gels in their carry-on bags.

The new rules will go into effect tomorrow (26-Sep) and will allow travelers to bring liquids or gels in containers of 3 ounces or less as long as they all fit into a clear, 1-quart plastic bag that can be screened at the security checkpoint.

Drinks and other items purchased in the secure part of the airport, beyond the checkpoint, will be allowed onto planes.

Canada is expected to make similar modifications to their restrictions this week as well.

James
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Here's a link to the news item on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/09/25....ap/index.html
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:42 PM
santharamhari

I may have to travel to New York next month on business, but, i intend to check in all my toiletries along with the luggage.....just not worth the additional screening and questions etc etc.,

Hari

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:17 AM
aby

James

during august i've flown Air Canada a few times. In Toronto (but not in Calgary) they let passengers board with liquids bought at the airport (Duty free - mainly wines, maple & perfumes...). It was heat-sealed inside "duty free" plastic bags - a new "security standard" ...

BTW: Air Canada never measured or weighed my carry-on bags or any other passenger's i've seen. i was carrying more than 2 items, one of them a real over-weight trolly (lots of books etc')
Ethiopean again, never checked size/weight of carry-ons
(Uzbekistan Air also doesn't check but wouldn't probably help most travellers to Africa)

aby
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM

Hello,

Just a quick update on the carry-on situation in the UK:

The Department for Transport has announced that from Monday 6 November, passengers may now carry a limited quantity of liquids, ie. gels, lotions, pastes, liquid cosmetics, foams and foodstuffs in their hand baggage when going through UK airport security checkpoints.

All liquids must be in individual containers not greater than 100ml capacity.

All containers must be placed in one transparent re-sealable bag (such as 'ziplock' bags or bags with pressable seals), no larger than 20cm x 20cm (8" x 8&quot in size and not larger that one litre in capacity.

The containers must fit comfortably inside the bag so it can be fastened closed.

Only one transparent re-sealable bag per passenger is allowed. Larger bags or bags that are non-sealable, such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed.

The one transparent re-sealable bag must fit into your single piece of hand luggage.

Each passenger must remove their clear plastic bag from their hand baggage and place it in on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening.

Liquids in containers of more than 100ml capacity must be packed in your checked in baggage.

Cabin baggage size remains unchanged - You are restricted to carrying only one item (in addition to the re-sealable liquids bag) through the airport search point. Cabin baggage must not exceed a maximum length of 56 cm, width of 36 cm and depth of 23 cm including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.

Whew -- just in time for my trip to the US for my friend's wedding!

Cheers,
Julian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -