Search

Micato Safaris?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micato Safaris?

My husband really wants us to go to Africa on the Micato Grand Safari. Has anyone done this particular safari with Micato? Has anyone used Micato in the past? I'd love to hear from anyone who has any input. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:14 AM
bat

Hi beachgirl:

I have not been on a Micato tour but here are some links to past threads about them. They are a reputable company, if that is your concern.

When you read the threads you will see that many posters feel that they are too expensive--that you can take their itinerary and price it with other tour operators and receive the same accommodations and trip for less money--even with a private guide, rather than as part of a tour.

If you want to price the trip with other companies, in the threads you will see the names of some companies that have been recommended--these include local companies. If you are in the U.S. and want a U.S. based company, sandi, a regular poster has a company that has received good comments--Africa Serendipity. I can also reccommend (via friends's experience and some personal contact) Deeper Africa.

The most exclusive and luxurious trip proposal I have seen on this board is one booked with Royal African Safari--the guide actually visits you in the U.S. before your trip!

Have fun planning your trip.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...rchText=Micato

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:31 AM

I went on this tour last year.

I did relay some info in the past (as bat as helpfully pointed out). Did you have other questions?
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM
sandi

bat -

You're right about Royal African which is probably the most exclusive I've seen and you get top-notch service. Luxury mobile camping on private lands, interspersed, if you wish, with top of the line hotels/lodges. Bush showers can get "old."

But know that those guides who visit don't come cheap... the client pays for the flights for your guide (and maybe even the chef) to visit at your home country prior commencing the safari.

Maybe when I win the lottery or Bill Gates realizes I'm one of his children! LOL!

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:52 AM
bat

I am with you sandi--I thought about writing to see what they cost but knew it was way over my means.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Micato, like so many of the big operators, drive around in the nastly little white pop top mini vans! Go for someone who will give you a proper open sided landcruiser or something similar. I went with Cheli & peacock although they are at the lottery winner end of the scale.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:51 PM

If nothing else, Cheli & Peacock has a beautiful website. Thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:26 AM

ttt for referencing
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
bat

beachgirl:

Here is a thread that contains a nice description of why someone chose Micato for their upcoming safari.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
bat

oops, here it is.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=4&start=0