Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Haina Safari Lodge or Edo Camp (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/haina-safari-lodge-or-edo-camp-603158/)

Kathysmail Mar 28th, 2006 10:19 AM

Haina Safari Lodge or Edo Camp

We are planning a two-week self-fly safari in August, 2007, and are down to making our final decisions on lodging.

During our trip, we will definitely be staying at these lodges in South Africa, Zambia and Botswana: Sabi Sabi Bush Camp, Mombo, Mashatu, and Parfuri Camp. The only thing we are still undecided about is whether to stay at Haina Safari Lodge OR Edo Camp.

We definitely like upscale, comfortable accommodations BUT we also want to "experience" our surroundings. We particularly enjoy participating in unusual activities: we don't want to limit ourselves to simply riding around in a Jeep looking for wildlife.

Having said all that, we need some guidance and would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

santharamhari Mar 28th, 2006 07:06 PM

Hi! Kathy, that is a wide diversity of camps......you have there.

May i ask, why Sabi Sabi? why did you opt for SS over Londolozi, Singita, Mala Mala etc etc?

Pafuri.......i really would like to chk it out sometime, sounds very interesting and wild.....

Kathysmail Mar 29th, 2006 03:37 PM

Hi. As far as why we selected Sabi Sabi instead of Londolozi or Singita, they were reputed to be VERY expensive and Sabi Sabi appeared to be the best of the more moderately priced camps in that area. We were already planning on several days at Mombo and that pretty much blew the budget right there! Nevertheless, I suspect it will be the trip of a lifetime and we can't wait to get there!

gfunk Apr 10th, 2006 09:11 AM

We just returned from 8 nights of safari and spent 3 days at Edo's camp. We absolutely loved the camp. the camp has only 4 tents so its very intimate and quiet. The tents are quite luxurious (24 hour power, bathtub, great shower and hot water due to the camp using solar power, they also have a beautiful pool surrounded by a stone wall) and the tents are feet away from a beautiful hippo pool, so you will be blessed with game, birding, great sunsets and sunrise right from the tents. The camp is beautiful which is a testament to Stephon, the manager who built it.
The staff were terrific and treated us like family.
They offer a bunch of activities outside of traditional game drives. They offer a visit to a traditonal bushman village (we didnt partake in it) but another couple who did had a great time. Additionally the camp owner has built an orphange on the edge of the property and the camp will gladly take you there for a visit. (A percentage of your stay goes towards the orphange, the orphange director lives at the camp and is a delightful woman) They also offer walking safaris, I did a 3 plus hour walk with a guide and 2 bushman (no other guests, my wife stayed behind and sat on our deck watching the hippos in the pool). They will tailor the walk towards what will make you happy. If you want to walk for 10 minutes thats fine, 1/2 hour, 1 hour etc etc. with my wife, we walked about 1/2 hour at the end of a game drive back to camp (with guide and tracker.)

FYI- they have 6 rhinos on the property.

I can email pics of the camp if you'd like.

Momliz Aug 27th, 2007 06:44 AM

kathy, if you are still out there, how did it go? Did you go to Haina?