Haifa in December

Oct 22nd, 1998, 10:01 AM
Ken

Haifa in December

Arriving in Haifa Dec. 12, via cruise ship and taking a shore excursion that returns to the ship about 1:30 PM - the ship sails at 11:00 PM. Any suggestions on what to do in Haifa - within walking distance and/or local transportation - of the port between 2:00 and 6:00 PM on a Saturday?

Also - Where does the cruise ship dock? What is the approximate distance from the dock to Baha'i Shrine? Carmelite Monastery? and Elija's Cave? Is walking safe?

Nov 2nd, 1998, 12:52 PM
Amik

Ken,
I noticed that no one responded to your question, so I'll try my best. I'm an Israeli in origin, was in Haifa very few times, knows of it just a bit.
Haifa is not a big city, and it's very easy to get anywhere, although because it's built on a mountain slope, walking is a bit difficult. It resembles San Francisco a bit in its topography (the later is a nicer city, though).
The places you mentioned are worth visiting. Take a cab to the top of Mt. Carmel, ask for a good Panorama spot, and enjoy a beautiful scene of the city with the Haifa bay.
Hope this helps. Bon Voyage. Amik.

Nov 5th, 1998, 08:53 PM
Zwi Schnabel

Dear friends,
when beeing 4 hours in Haifa take a taxi or a bus (busses operate on Saturdays in Haifa, the Carmelit Underground n o t .) Go on Mount Carmel, the most beautiful place in Haifa, with a great look on the town and the harbor. On the way back you can visit the Bahai Gardens or take a Taxi to Stella Maris and take from there the cable car. I think it works on Sabbath, please ask. You may also see the modern part of Haifa, Hadar Hacarmel, with the Shopping Streets etc, but shops will be closed.
Haifa has 3 parts: The down town with the harbor, the Hadar Hacarmel with Business Center, Shopping and Entertainments, and the Mount Carmel.

A other possibility would be to take a taxi to Acco and visit the old town, with harbor, bazaars and Mosque.

Greetings from Israel
Zwi Schnabel

Search this Thread