guides/tents for chitabe/duma tau

Apr 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

guides/tents for chitabe/duma tau

hi guys,
i am travelling to chitabe and duma tau for the first time this year and would appreciate any thoughts on requests for guides/tents. anyone had any exceptional guides at either place or great tents. i am also going to little mombo and duba but i have already been there before. thx in advance.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:55 AM

What a powerpacked itinerary.

I enjoyed Ben and Relax at Chitabe. Also a guide in training, Luke, went to the walking trails camp with me and another guide. At the trails camp he spotted a leopard at night. Luke will make a superb guide, and if I had not known he was in training, I'd think he already was one.

A roving guide was there also, named Newman and he was the other guide at the walking trails. Newman was outstanding.

I ended up spending 8 days at Chitabe, which is why I can comment on so many guides.

The Chitabe end tents #1 or #8 are nice because on the end you have fewer people walking by on the raised walkways. I was in #1. In addition to the end, I was also in #5 and that was fine too, just a little busier because it was closer to the center.

A woman I met at Chitabe raved about Moses at Duma Tau.

Can you give me a recommendation for a Duba Plains guide and tent?

When do you go?
Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:31 AM
santharamhari

Atravellyn,

Hi! Vasco is a great guide at Duba Plains. Had him in 2004. Glad you mentioned Moses......we had his as a guide at Kings Pool and he was just starting out. Yes, very good and hard working......

Hari

Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:47 AM

Cilas is an outstanding guide at Duma Tau. Spots everything and drives very well when the dogs are on the run, including when you have to go into the Mopane. One of the 2 or 3 best guides I have ever had.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
johan_belgium

Bigcountry,

For Chitabe I would recommend Phinley (Chitabe) or Ben (Chitabe trails).

At Duma Tau try Cilas,a keen photographer and excellent spotter. He has been guiding for known photographers like Adrian Bailey.

Actually he and Dukes went to the States on costs of the company I think.

Greetings,

Johan

Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

great,
thx a lot guys for your responses. i will defintely ask for cilas at duma tau.

lynn, i visited duba in jan 2004 and had vasco for a guide. i thought he was very good. in terms of tents, there isnt much game to see from camp at duba so i dont think the tent really matters much. and there are only 5 or 6 of them so not a far walk to any of them. we were in the tent closest to camp which we found fine bc shortest distance if we forgot something etc. its a pretty intimate camp with only 10-12 people so pretty cool and u certainly wont be running into any other vehicles from other camps. i am really looking forward to visiting again. this is probably my last trip to africa for a long time so i wanted to go for my ultimate predator trip. i figured duba, chitabe duma and mombo would be hard to top, hopefully i will be proven correct.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
johan_belgium

Bigcountry,

When are you going to Botswana? And how long are you staying in each camp?

Your camps are well chosen in terms of predators although I would add Selinda/Lebala if predators were what I was looking for.

Greetings,

Johan

Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM

I can also recommend Mr. T(can't remember what the "T" stands for) at Duam Tau-he's been guiding for 20+ years and there is nothing he seems to not know. My favorite guide of all though is Frank, at Jao-incredibly knowledgable and very funny.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:38 AM

Hello,

I second the recommendation of Cilas or Mr T (Theba). Mr T was my main guide at Duma Tau and was one of the best guides I've had. One one night when he was booked for a private vehicle I had Cilas -- also an excellent guide.

Cheers,
Julina
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

hi johan,
our itinerar is as follows:
aug 29, 30 - duba plains
aug 31, sept 1 - chitabe
sept 2,3,4 - duma tau
sept 5,6,7 - little mombo

my goals for this trip were

1. see Mombo in sept. (i have been there twice in jan and wanted to see it during dry season)

2. see the savuti channel (unfortunately savuti was booked so going with duma tau but should be able to makes some drives there)

3. give duba another try (once again only visited in jan)

4. try out new camp (chitabe)
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:48 PM

We had Cilas as a guide in February. We were at Kings Pool as Duma Tau was closed for rehab due to the heavy rains. I can also confirm that he's a great guide. He's very understated, but can really spot the game. Because we weren't seeing much at KP, Cilas suggested an all-day drive over to Savuti Channel. We found lions and cheetahs there. We had Lazarus at Chitabe. He was good, too.

Search this Thread