Guided Camping in Kenya &/or Tanzania

Jan 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Guided Camping in Kenya &/or Tanzania

Has anyone heard about, or better yet, experienced a high-end guided multi-day camping expedition in Kenya or Tanzania?
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM

There are only a few companies at the top-end of the private camping spectrum - assuming you are looking for the very top-end? I've seen most of them at some point or the other and they are all very impressive.

This is certainly not for everybody! You are looking upwards of $1000 per person per day for two people! Upwards of $700 per person/day for a family of 6.

I have camped with and have a lot of respect for http://www.royalafricansafaris.com/

In Kenya, the Carr-Hartleys comes to mind.

They all have great equipment (very special), use private camp sites (somewhat special), and have excellent and very interesting guides (very special).

There are others but I need to know if this is the kind of experience you are looking for?
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM
sandi

Robbb - A few other reputable outfitters that specialize in mobile-camping are:

Cheli & Peacock - www.Chelipeacock.com
Kimbla-Mantana - www.Kimbla-Mantana.com

both specialize in Kenya.

Of course, you can check Abercrombie & Kent, who is always so so expensive, but it's good for comparison purposes.

And include Roy Safaris who covers both Tanzania & Kenya mobile safaris.

As climbhigsleeplow states, this kind of safari is costly, but it does provide a close to the land experience. Of course, all travelers are different and sometimes it's nice to combine mobile camping with a few permanent lux tent camps or even lodges if you feel you need a real shower and commode during the time you've allowed. Something to think about.

I'd contact all of the outfitters for suggested itineraries and prices, what the provide, level of comfort, etc.

Jan 11th, 2005, 06:06 AM

We used Kibo Safaris out of Arusha Tanzania for a two week mobile camping safari, and can't say enough good things about them. Check them out.

Search this Thread