Egypt with OAT Question

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt with OAT Question

I know there are many references to OAT trips on the board but I have not seen this addressed. We are 2 couples in our 60's with intermitant knee problems. OAT catalogs list that you need to be able to walk three miles a day. I am sure they don't mean in one swoop, but I would appreciate info from people who have been on this trip as to exactly how much strenuous walking is involved. We would not want to hold up the pace for others.
Thankk you for the advice.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:31 AM

It may be just me that doesn't know, but what does OAT mean?

I certainly did a fair amount of walking on my trip to Egypt. A lot was perhaps through choice however. Without knowing what AOT is, my comments may not be relevant though.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, OAT is Overseas Adventure Travel, a subsidiary of Grand Circle Travel.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM
sandi

As to the walking, it's certainly not all at one time, but you will find that where you walk is often uneven ground if not sand. At the Pyramids & Sphinx they will drop you pretty close to the Pyramids and you can walk as much as you want. At the Sphinx the issue was that there seemed to be one way in/out so rather crowded and the spot from where you can take close-up photos is kind of trecherous. But you can get photos from many angles. And the Museum is large which, if I recall, have four floors of exhibits - I don't recall seeing an elevator, but the steps aren't steep from floor to floor.

Memphis is easy enough to walk around, but at Saqqara there is lots of sand. And when visiting the Khan el-Khalili Bazaar you'll find crowds, narrow lanes that can be uneven underfoot in places.

At the stops along the Nile cruise, there is walking thru the temples and again it's uneven, and many temples are rather large. Same holds true when you get to Luxor to visit Luxor and Karnak Temples. Karnak especially is very large. At the Valley of Kings & Queens you are driven in on a little cho-choo train, but there are many directions to go in to various tombs. Entry into tombs maybe steps, more often they are sloped (sp) downward going in and the reverse when leaving. There are some tombs that have ladders going down, others have long stairways going up. But you certainly don't have to visit all tombs. At Hatshepsuts tomb, there is a long walk up to the edifice but here the ground is pretty even, though there is a ramp up to the actual building.

You might want to consider those collapseable aluminum seats that fold up the size of a cane - and even have a cane to provide good footing anywhere. So while distances overall aren't all that great, you have to watch where you're walking regardless your age or physical disability, if any.

While I haven't been on this specific OAT itinerary, I've indicated information based on most stops/sights that are covered on similar trips.

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:58 PM

Sandi has covered just about everything. I recall some stairways being steep at some of the ports on the Nile. There were people in their 80's on our trip and they seemed to do OK.
Perhaps if you could tell us where you have been that you felt comfortable walking, then we could tell if conditions are about the same in Egypt. I'm guessing you're from RI, so I'd say if you have done the walking tour at Plymouth Plantation (down the hill and back up) and you can climb a flight of stairs then you will be fine. Egypt is amazing, don't miss it.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, I am reassured!