Guess who's going to the Mara? :o)

Jan 30th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Guess who's going to the Mara? :o)

My dad came across this...

http://www.festivalofwildlife.com/festival_main.jsp

...and wants to go - my mum doesn't fancy it, nor does my hubby. So my dad invited me to go with him!

Anyone able to join us?

I have never before in my adult life gone from the first inkling of an idea about a trip to confirmation of going within the space of 3 hours!

Jan 30th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Didn't mean to include a piggy there!

Just wanted a smiley like this : o )

How about instead?
Jan 30th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Wow! What fun! Lucky you!

Celia
Jan 30th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Celia
I'm so excited I'm practically peeing my pants!
Jan 30th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Kavey I am TOTALLY JEALOUS!!
You and your dad will have a great time.
Jan 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM

Kavey,
That's wonderful, I'm so pleased for you. It's great you're able to travel with your Dad. Plus I think it would be fascinating to meet David Sheperd and some of the other people listed.

Although, like everyone here, I'm obsessed with the planning I think a trip with no planning would be wonderful...the ultimate in relaxing! What a treat! Enjoy!
Jan 30th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Oh, Kavey!!!! What can I say except that I am pea-green with envy!!! And what a wonderful thing to experience with your Father. My Mother had finally agreed to travel to Africa with me two weeks before she unexpectedly passed away. It will be something for you and your Father to share and treasure ... I am so very, very happy for you, both!!!
Jan 30th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Kavey, how wonderful! I would love to go if I weren't booked for Botswana in May. However, I've bookmarked the website and will check for 2005 trips from time to time. The master classes sound amazing. Can't wait for your trip report!
Jan 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM
sandi

Kavey - how great! And such unbelievable prices. Are you considering any of the extensions? Sometimes the best decisions are those one makes without too much "thinking about it" - and this one certainly doesn't need much thinking! You're going to have a wonderful time.

Jan 31st, 2004, 04:44 AM

I wish I could go be there but we are going to Venice at the same time. Have a great time and tell us all after your return.
Jan 31st, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all....

Yes I'm looking forward to meeting all the experts listed - Mr Scott just had me most excited!

We won't be booking any extensions no - but I am floating on cloud nine already!

This is incredibly extravagant as it is - I'm still going to Southern Africa for 2 months at the beginning of May!!

Susan, I'll think of your mother when I'm there and hopefully she'll hear the roar of the lions wherever she is.

Thanks for sharing my excitement everyone!
Jan 31st, 2004, 01:05 PM

As usual Kavey, your kind words are greatly appreciated. Just think: now you will have two trips reports due us Fodorites! And please pick Mr. Scott's brain as much as you can about the Marsh pride, Amber, Shadow and Sophie - you know, all those Big Cat Diary personalities!!!
Feb 1st, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I've spent most of the day watching Big Cat Diary episodes that I had recorded, from 1996 through to 2002 and then onto Big Cat Week which was 2003.

Also on at the moment are new family histories where each hour-long episode focuses on one type of cat and looks back through the history of the various characters we got to know and love, right through to the present.
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM

Kavey: I would be especially interested in hearing about Solo, remember, the male cub who got separated from his Mom when he and his nursery mates were attacked by buffalo. I know he was reunited with Mom and when last seen was growing into a fine specimen, but since Big Cat Diary is no longer aired here on Animal Planet, I have no idea what has happened to him since!
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Last few I saw (which I think were from 2002) showed his mother getting a severe beating from some other lions when she was still separate from the pride - but Solo was not with her and therefore spared - and then the next week she was finally back with the rest of the Marsh Pride, most of her injuries starting to heal pretty well, her tail still looked mangled. So Solo was now amid a protective pride - which hopefully means he did OK.

I'll definitely try and find out about all our favourite characters...
Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:58 AM

Kavey: I keep looking at that website and reading and re-reading the program. I am just so very, very happy for you and I cannot wait for you to go and tell us all about it!!!! Yahoo!!! Yippee!!!
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Today my dad received a package including a copy of a book by the Scotts which is signed by them and says they are looking forward to seeing us in the Mara in April.

Doesn't have our names signed in (I'm sure they just signed the relevant numbers in advanced) but it's a very nice touch I think.
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Susan
Two things:

1) The book my dad and I were each sent a signed copy of is called "Mara Serengeti: A Photographer's Paradise" and I thoroughly recommend it for any fan of Big Cat Diary. I expected it to be simply a collection of photographs by Jonathan and Angie Scott but it's almost a mini biography of Jonathan plus it includes a lot of information on the family histories of the lions, leopards and cheetahs, including some information from before the first series of Big Cat Diary and from in between the series.

2) Solo did survive - I have been watching more of the episodes I recorded and in Big Cat Diary 2002 he is a strong and healthy adolescent testing his limits alongside his cousins.

I cannot WAIT for this trip!
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Kavey: And I cannot wait for you to go on this trip! I will have to live vicariously through you for this one! As you have served as a valuable resource for many people on this board, it is fitting that you go on this wonderful journey. Since you are returning to my beloved Mara, might I impose on you to name the most beautiful lioness you see there in my honor?? Ha!!! Liz named a cheetah for me on her last trip, and it would be icing on the cake to know that there is a lion out there somewhere named after me! I know, I know ... I'm pushy. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM

KAV! This is fabulous! Oh how wonderful, those interesting speakers and all. And so lovely just to be able to take off and go, no planning. Oh, if the dollar wasn't almost twice what the pound is now... We will be relying on your photos and your stories to get us through this envy... Lucky you!!

Search this Thread