What's the latest on the migration?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two weeks from today we will be on a plane headed to Tanzania. Our first three nights will be at Migration Camp in the northern part of the Serengeti. Any news on where the migration is now?
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 12:21 PM

hi, i am trying to find out some info. i hope my email friend sends it to me. she kept me posted before i went to the mara oct 17th. then all the animals were on the west side of the mara. there is still much grass and still much rain. they were not in any hurry with all that food around. although a handful crossed the river.no way to know if they are crossing in masses or not. will let you know if i find out anything.

thx, david
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Oh good. We are so excited we can hardly stand it. We'll be at Migration Camp Nov. 22-25, Mbuzi Mawe Nov. 25-27, and Serengeti Serena Nov. 27-29, so hope that at least for part of that time maybe we will cross paths with some part of the herds...haven't heard any updates at all since mid-Oct. when they were still in the western Mara, so maybe they are still there?
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM

hi lisa, i will mail my driver.i believe he's been with clients there in the mara since i left oct 24th. see what he has to say.
cheers d
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:26 AM

Lisa,
Here’s an update from Heritage Hotels:
http://www.heritage-eastafrica.com/default.asp

It’s from 10 October. There is one from 2 November that should show up soon. It says that huge herds are still to be found in the northern Mara where the grass was spared from the July/August migration. Most herds are in the northern part of the “Mara triangle”, and some are around Rhino Ridge, Paradise Plains, and Musiara, with sporadic herd between Talek River and Roan Hill. There have been mass river crossings that are believed to be the start of a mass exodus. This update is only about the Mara, so I don’t know if some herds are in northern Serengeti. I’d say there is a good chance you’ll catch the migration, but I’m not a wildebeest.

D, I got the hint.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:35 AM

hello lisa, I just returned from the serengeti on the 7th nov and it is raining in the serengeti, i saw alot of herds of wilderbeest on the route between mbuzi mawe and serengeti serena, I am sure you will see the migration and lots of other animals, I stayed in northern serengeti for 3 nights and central serengeti for 4 nights. I had a wonderful time.Good luck to you,Sonali.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Lisa

I am sitting in the Arusha Hotel and Christopher and I are driving in the morning to stay at Nomad Loliondo at Loksikale on Saturday night. On Sunday night we are staying at Sayari at the Mara River and then we will camp at Seronera on Monday night before going to stay at EMC camp at Ndutu on Tuesday!

So I will certainly see them somewhere and will post here!

We were going to camp in our tents but it is very hot here (28 degrees celsius today in Arusha) so I decided to splurge and we will stay in the seasonal tents!

Eben

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 07:11 AM
bat

excellent--can't wait for the report.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Ohboyohboyohboy...can't wait to hear the latest...the more details the better...we will be at Ndutu after Serena Serengeti.