Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Group tour companies (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/group-tour-companies-66150/)

Diva Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

It's really very sad that two people who posted here (Jim Carson the latest anal retentive troll) have lives so empty that they have to write about an elderly man's bowel movements. This nonsense dilutes and undermines this website which is informative and entertaining.<BR><BR>Fate will soon laugh at you and you will shortly get diarrea or constipation. What goes around...

Chris Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Judy, you are making really nice plans, and I commend you for planning in advance to make this enjoyable for ALL members of your family. I'm going to check out a couple of "non-traditional" cab options, if I find anything of value I will certainly post the results here for you.<BR><BR>whatare ([email protected])- You sound bitter, (nice assumption about who travels more - that was important) and forgive me, but I wouldn't pay you to plan my vacation. And by the way - it is probably YOUR kids we all hear whining because they have trot around with you and your negative attitude. If you are so wonderful and at writing about travel and ruining (oops, I mean planning) trips for families, why don't you just go do it and leave Judy alone?<BR><BR>Judy, I'll check on those transportation options.

Gene Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Let's get back to Judy's trip please . . .

whatare Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

hmmm, whatever. My kids don't play video games or watch TV. I have a feeling that they travel more than you or Judy's entire family put together. I happen to have a 9 year old son, and consider myself somewhat of an expert (as are people who actually PAY me for my advice) on tailoring vacations to families and age groups. The comment was that the average nine year old boy would rather eat broccoli while wearing a suit and tie than sightsee all day in Manhattan. I'm not saying it can't be done successfully, only that people should be aware of the caveats and plan accordingly. It sounds like Judy is on the right track.<BR><BR>My kids, being what I would consider typical and not the prodigies that run rampant in your family "hmmm", love the Met (particularly the Egyptian and armory exhibits), loved the Lion King, and love the Museum of Natural History. I know better than to take them to sights that wouldn't interest them. You've obviously never experienced the pain and misery a bored nine year old can inflict on well meaning parents while on vacation, but I'm quite sure lots of experienced family travelers have. They are smart enough to take EVERYONE's interests, abilities and desires into consideration.<BR><BR>But hey, pay no attention to me, the world is full of whining kids being dragged around by adults who spent a fortune for them to have a good time and they're going to have a good time if it kills them or bankrupts them, whichever comes first.

Ellen Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Yes, the Tenement Museum sounds like it would be perfect for you. I would also make sure the kids and everyone else has the address of the hotel, a phone number, and cash in case you get separated. Especially the kids. Some shows that the whole family will enjoy are Thoroughly Modern Millie and 42nd Street. Depending on the age of the kids you may also want to give them a break from the sightseeing and head over to the Central Park Zoo.

xxx Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Museums generally have free wheelchairs available. The larger museums like the Met and the Museum of Modern Art usually have a bunch available first-come-first-served, while at other musuems you may have to make arrangements in advance. Their websites will have this information. Although some older people who don't absolutely need wheelchairs may be reluctant to use them, they really are an excellent idea in museums, allowing the users to conserve their "walking energy" instead of using it up on those long corridors.

Ellen Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Group tour companies

Another thought. As I said before, I would take the older folks to the matinees vs evening performances. In the evening with the kids you could see Stomp, Blue Man, or Cris Angel. The kids will love this kind of performance art. You can also try a movie at the Ziegfeld. Guaranteed they have never seen a theater this big in their lives. Another thought for evenings with the kids is a Yankee or Met game. I belive the season starts at the beginning of April.

Lisa Mar 22nd, 2000 12:08 PM

I am going to be taking a group of 12-16 friend and colleagues to Turkey in <BR>May/June 2001 and I am looking for the right company to work with. We would like <BR>to begin our tour in Istanbul then travel down the coast visiting Troy, <BR>Sardis, Pergamum, Ephesus, Priene, Didyma, Bodrum and then Marmaris. From there <BR>we would like to embark on a one-week Blue Cruise. <BR>I'm not sure which Blue Cruise itinerary would be best; probably one <BR>where we would see the most hitorical sites. Perhaps Marmaris to Antalya. <BR>Has anyone ever used Ekol Travel or any other Turkish travel companies? Do you think <BR>it would be best to use a local company or one of the larger, more well-know companies? <BR>Thanks. <BR>