Greek Islands and Turkey

Dec 13th, 1997, 01:41 AM
Denise

Greek Islands and Turkey

We, in our early 50's are going to Italy Sept/Oct
next year. This we will do on an organised tour, and then would like to go to indiependently to the Greek Islands and Turkey. Has anyone got any info they can let us have? How to get there, from Italy - Ferry? Please let us know how difficult it is to travel independently in Turkey, arrange accommodation etc. etc. Thank you in advance.
We have found Fodors very interesting and helpful to date. Denise

Mar 5th, 1998, 11:07 AM
Allison

I have travelled both in the Greek Isles and Turkey.
As for getting to Turkey, you can take a ferry from Rhodes to Turkey, but there are also longer rides from the Mainland (too long). It is a quick trip from Rhodes. As for travelling in Turkey, it is really not difficult at all. Accomodations can be found easily and the people could not be more helpful. It is also quite easy to travel between cities and towns using the bus system which is VERY clean and comfortable. The tourism industry in Turkey has grown a great deal and iformation and help is easy to come by. You really must see Turkey! Good luck!

May 2nd, 1998, 01:01 PM
Nancy

Hi there! My husband & I will be doing the Orient Line, Marco Polo, from Istanbul to Athens later this summer. Our trip includes 4days in both cities. I will let you know our impressions.

May 25th, 1998, 10:07 AM
Angela

I really recommend that you plan you trip in advance. You don't need to know what you'll do day by day, but you will find it helpful to know the major areas or centres you want to visit. A good idea is to 1. download a map, and 2. start surfing the net for information. The Republic of Turkey has a fairly helpful website with some good history and info about various areas and cities to visit. Searching the net will give you quite a lot of good information, ferry routes, hotels, hostels, maps, food to eat, etc. My recommendations for places to visit: Bodrum (where you will probably land off the ferry), Efes, Dalyan. Both Efes and Dalyan are fairly close to Bodrum - you could take a bus to either from Bodrum, and or find tours to them. These are my top 3 fav's so far - I've been four times, and am planning my fifth trip. E-mail me with any specific questions when you get an idea of the specific areas you want to go to.

Jun 13th, 1998, 09:54 AM
Michel

As far as getting from Italy to Greece is concerned, you could take a ferry from Brindisi to Corfu, spend a few days on this wonderful island, then ferry to the mainland.

Search this Thread