Search

Hot Air Balloon Ride

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Air Balloon Ride

We are on the Micato Hemingway Safari in May. We also have the oportunity to take a balloon ride....is it worth it? <BR><BR>Any other advice? Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:55 AM
LizFrazier

I'm guessing you will be in Kenya for the Hemingway Safari right? We took the balloon ride on the Mara and absolutely loved it. You see how big the Mara is and you can even see over into Tanzania. It was worth every cent. Really wonderful. When we go back, we will do it again. I wouldn't miss it. Go to www.balloonsafaris.com and you will see what it is like. Its the Serengeti, but that doesn't matter. Liz

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM

It was most definitely worth it for me.I got great photos and sweeping videos that would have been impossible to get from a ground view point.I cannot wait to do it again...Enjoy!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 01:08 PM
DE

We would like to do a balloon ride in Sossusvlei over the great sand dunes in Namibia. We are staying at the Sossusvlei Wilderness Camp for 3 nights. We haven't made any arrangements but just thought we could book this once we are there or should we do this beforehand?

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:07 AM

I went on a Balloon Safari from Governors Camp and loved it. The excitement of getting up VERY early, driving in the dark to the launch site and watching the multicoloured balloon get inflated. It was amazing. Don't expect to see herds and herds of animals from the balloon, it is more the experience of drifting weightlessly above the Mara. <BR><BR>I have found through my research that there is another website called www.balloonsafarisdirect.com which is run by a balloon pilot. It claims to offer you a discount on certain balloon flights in the Mara - and it says that is cheaper than going with the agent rates. Seems very genuine and honest in my opinion. <BR><BR>Good luck and have a safe landing..we screamed down on ours just a few miles short of the border and Kenya became Tanzania !!! It was fun.<BR>
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 04:12 AM

Hayward, we went on two safaris and never took on a ballon ride. We just did not want to miss our very early morning game drives and we don't drink champagne especially for breakfast. On the other hand we heard when in Governos Camp (ballons start from Little Governors)that people enjoyed it. <BR>I wouldn't book before getting there. If it rains or clouds are very low you won't see much and you really want to have similar experience to the one described by Liz, Kbella, and Katycee.<BR>How I wish to go there again. Once you go to Africa on safari....
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:29 AM
LizFrazier

Wildflower raises a very good point. May is the rainy season in East Africa. I notice that Nairobi is having daily thunderstorms now. You risk not booking early, but since May is not the busiest season you may be able to book once you are there. If it does rain the balloon will not go up and you would get your money back, so I don't know what I'd do. I know during the migration, I would definitely book early. I guess I don't know what to advise except that it is a beautiful experience and one you will never forget whether there is an abundance of animals or not. The pilot would drop us down to treetop level to see things close up and one time we brushed the tree. Thrilling! May is tricky but my first trip to Africa was in May and I LOVED it. The clouds brought great contrast to my photos. The colors are so much more pronounced and your pictures will be worth it. Liz

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Hayward,<BR><BR>I would definitely do the Balloon safari and I would pre-book. We went with a group of 22 and did it in the Serengeti and if we hadn't pre-booked we wouldn't have been able to get on. Space is limited in the Serengeti but in the Mara that might not be the case. We DID see all sorts of animals. The giraffes gently loping through the trees. The gazelles hopping along the ground. It was UNFORGETTABLE. It is well worth the money. If you can afford Micato, you can afford the balloon and you will be glad you did it!