Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Great restaurants in Sharm el Sheik, Naama Bay and Cairo??

Great restaurants in Sharm el Sheik, Naama Bay and Cairo??

Jan 18th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Great restaurants in Sharm el Sheik, Naama Bay and Cairo??

My family are traveling to Sharm el Sheikh april 1th this year. We are staying there for a week and will take take a short trip to Cairo. Is there any great places to eat in Sharm el Sheikh, Naama Bay and Cairo?
Thank You!
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Okay - let's be honest - while Egypt is an absolutely WONDERFUL place, most people don't come here for the fine cusine! But there are lots of good places around, as well as some popular US chains (TGIFRidays, Johnny Carino's, Hard Rock Cafe, Chili's, etc). Some people object to eating at chain restaurants when traveling, but if traveling with kids - they can sometimes be a blessing!

In Cairo, you should try to have lunch at the Mena House, where you will have a terrific view of the Great Pyramid. In Sharm, I would try to take advantage of seafood restaurants.

Some food tips....

Avoid raw lettuce, spinach, celery, cabbage and other "veiny" produce.

Be wary of buffet food if the food looks like it may have been sitting out for a while.

Make sure all food (chicken, seafood, beef) is thoroughly cooked.

If the seafood doesn't smell right - don't eat it.

Drink only bottled water and avoid ice when away from the major hotels.

Of the local wines, most people prefer the Grand Marquis wines (there is a cabernet and a pinot blanc).

Saqqara Gold is a relatively light beer (around 4% alcohol) and Saqqara 7 Star is the high alcohol (7%) version.

Have fun!
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM

In Naama Bay we mostly had the buffets or the seafood meals where you choose your fish or shrimp or whatever, and they cook it for you. These were at the outdoor restaurants connected to the hotels. Food was good and the prices were reasonable, around 90 LE (without drinks) if I recall correctly. In Cairo for some reason I really liked dinner at the Four Seasons, which was also surprisingly reasonably priced.
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:05 PM

In Naama Bay you can eat very well at the (beach) restaurants of the Mövenpick hotel.

Search this Thread