Jordan and Israel 11 -14 days September

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jordan and Israel 11 -14 days September

Hello there!

I have leave in September this year and am planning to go to Jordan and Israel.

I was looking to fly into Jordan spend 6 days looking around:

Ammam
Dead Sea
Petra
Wadi Rum
Enter Israel via Aqaba

Do you think there is anywhere important that I have missed?
I love landscape, flora, fauna, ruins, architecture.
I am going with my fiance, how much spending money do you think we are looking at?
What about 60 Dinars a day for both of us?

How much is it to hire an English speaking driver? Do you think is is a good way to get around?
Do you know of any drivers? I don't need a tour guide, just the driver perhaps
Any transport suggestions?

Hotels: I was thinking of staying at one hotel to see Amman / Dead Sea / Petra and then go and stay at Wadi Rum overnight and spend the next day waiting to cross the border, or should I get a hotel in Petra?

Also if anyone has the names of some great little eating places in any of these spots, nothing fancy but maybe some great local food?

I have not worked out any of the Israel step so any kind of advice on this would be great!!

Thank you in Advance !
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 11:30 AM
jgg

You definitely can not stay in one hotel to visit Amman/Dead Sea/Petra as Petra is just too far from Amman. I would suggest the day you are ready to leave Amman drive to the Dead Sea (about 1.5 hrs) stop there for a few hours then drive on to Petra after that (about 2/2.5 hrs). Stay overnight near Petra then head there in the morning the next day. We did something similar on the Israeli side. Left Jerusalem and drove to Dead Sea, spent some time there in the water then left to drive to Eilat, stopping at Masada along the way. Arrived in Eilat around dinner time. We had a resting day in between, but could have gotten up the next morning to head to Petra.

Here is a link to my blog with details from our trip and pictures: http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...e-east/israel/
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM

Hi We visited Petra about 3 yrs ago. In Petra we stayed at the Movenpick, right outside Petra, it's a great location. The first night, we ate at the hotel dinner, but found the food just ok. After that we walked to Wadi Musa and ate at the local restaurants. Try some of the beduoin dishes in the restaurants. We stayed 3 nights in Petra. Had a great time.
sept. is still hot. We came back to the hotel late afternoons and had a light lunch.

We came from Eilat ant it's about 2-21/2 hr taxi ride to Petra from there. Had very good time in Eilat too.

Enjoy your trip
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 03:28 PM

The site you might be missing is Jerash, north of Amman.

I can see staying in one hotel for both Amman and the Dead Sea. I think you will need a hotel in Petra unless you are willing to travel there very early in the morning and then leave from there for Wadi Rum late in the afternoon. That is not a good plan IMO.

I would plan on 2/3 nights near Amman/Dead Sea, 1/2 nights in Petra and one night in Wadi Rum. Actually we just spent three nights in Wadi Rum but I doubt you would want to do that.

Sixty Dinars sounds bit low to me. The entrance to Petra is 50 Dinars each. Floating in the Dead Sea will cost you at least 16 Dinars each.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 03:30 PM

.... unless you stay at a hotel on the Dead Sea. Which isn't cheap.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also enjoyed the mosaics in Madaba - if you go make sure to see the Archaelogical Park as well as the map.

I highly recommend two full days (three nights) for Petra. For my photos, which may explain why, see http://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/C...st-2009/Petra/
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Dear JJJ,

Thank you so much! I can see now that it would be to far to travel your blog is so helpful, thank you for sending me the link I think I will use it as a blueprint!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Dear Alan43,

Thanks for the tips I have googled Movenpick Hotels, they look amazing! http://www.moevenpick-hotels.com/en/...-sea/overview/ I think I could definetly relax somewhere like that!

Very keen to try the local food!
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 03:51 AM

tuesdays-girl,
We really enjoyed our trip to Jordan after we visited Syria a few years ago. I have a pile of blog posts you might find interesting. I agree with the poster above who mentions Jerash we enjoyed stopping over here on our way into Amman from Damascus. I must admit we gave Amman short shrift stopping just to pick up a hire car. We had no difficulty driving around on our own.

We enjoyed Petra very much but partly because we stayed out of town in Seven Wonders bedouin Camp, highly recommended.

Anyway here's a blog post on "Ten Things Worth Knowing about Petra" with advice, pictures of the camp, hikes etc.
http://somuchmoretosee.blogspot.fr/2...out-petra.html

http://somuchmoretosee.blogspot.fr/search/label/Jordan
We didn't stay on the Dead Sea opting for the Six Sense spa at Ma'in which I would recommend. More info and photos here
http://somuchmoretosee.blogspot.fr/2...pa-jordan.html

Have a great time we love the Middle East!
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
jgg

tuesdays-girl,
Glad you found the blog helpful! Sounds like you're planning an amazing trip! Enjoy!
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM

jgg,
I just checked out your blog too and as a fellow blogger I like the format and info too!
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM
jgg

Welltraveled - thank you for the kind words. A labor of love for all of us!!