Grand Taxi

Aug 12th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Grand Taxi

We would like to get a Grand Taxi (shared for 2 seats) for travel from Tangier to Marrakech. Any clues on where we could get such a ride, and what the possible costs might be? Thanks.
Sep 14th, 2003, 02:53 PM

Hello.
I made 2 trips last week in Grand Taxis.
The are usually located just outside the city centre (Medina) and a Petit Taxi can take you there (I paid 10 dirham from the Medina).
The first Grand Taxi my wife and I shared with 3 others from Agadir to Essaouira
And we paid 210 dirham for the both of us one way, the Taxi organiser originally asked for 1000Dirham but our lonely planet guide book indicated the price and we showed this to the man and he relented.
The next Taxi trip was just the two of us as the cab if very uncomfortable when they squeeze 5 or even 6 into it. We paid 600 Dirham + 100Dirham tip to the driver to travel from Marrakech to Agidir (a 5 hour journey).
EVERYONE WILL TRY TO OVER CHARGE YOU IN MOROCCO, it is important to be cool and confident and VERY important to be able to greet the person you are dealing with in Arabic , this alone could save you 50% of what other tourist pay , On the way back to Agidir the driver wanted to stop for his dinner ( he asked if it was OK ) we were friendly with him and bought him a coffee , after that he was very helpful for the rest of the journey , stopping the car at scenic points several times so we could take photos.
If you decide to take the cab with just the 2 of you (recommended) make sure the organiser really understands that you want only the 2 of you in the cab , they will sometimes try to get more people in afterwards ! .
Learning a few words in Arabic and smiling is really the best way to be charged fairly in Morocco.
Hope I have helped.
Sep 28th, 2003, 12:01 PM

There's very little reason to take a Grand Taxi from Tangier to Marrakech, as there are cheap, reliable and comfortable trains linking these two cities!

Search this Thread