Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Grand Circle post trip to Jorden (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/grand-circle-post-trip-to-jorden-595979/)

ranger60 Mar 3rd, 2006 07:47 AM

Grand Circle post trip to Jorden

I just booked a trip with Grand Circle, leaving Sept. 23rd. for 5 nights in Cairo and 6 nights on the M/S Anuket, on the Nile. I am a single traveler and the single supplements can get a little costly.
I would like to take the post trip to Jorden but it would add almost an additional $1000 onto the trip.
To those of you who have done both, should I skip Jorden this time or should I skip some of the side trips on the main tour such as Abu Simbel ($199) and the hot air ballooning ($145) and Sakkara ($45).
I'm leaning toward skipping Jorden and then I read more posts about how wonderful Jorden is.

sandi Mar 3rd, 2006 09:42 AM

Five nights in Cairo and Sakkara is an option? Most tours take you to both Sakkara and Memphis at the same time - in morning or afternoon. Besides, 5-nights is a long time in Cairo.. 3-4 is more than sufficient, with maybe a 5th on your return from your Nile cruise. I also wonder, on a 6-nt Nile cruise where exactly you stop. I know there are 7-nt cruises which take you to stops that one normally doesn't visit on the regular 4-nt/5-day cruises. And if you have gone as far as Aswan (at either end of the cruise), I wouldn't skip Abu Simbel for the price they're offering.

The $1,000 for the Jordan extension is very high. How many days and where are you visiting? We did 1-day Petra and 1-day Amman and Jeresh as a pre-trip stop before heading to Egypt - cost for the stop, though staying at the airport hotel, but with private guide and vehicle both days, was less than $250/person.

For $1,000 I wouldn't book the Jordan extension. You can do many more stops as a "Jordan only" trip for about $1,200 in very nice hotels.

I believe, however, if you are willing to share a room/cabin with another single traveler you can avoid the single supplement. And if Grand Circle can't find a roomie for you, you aren't charged the single supl.

Whatever you decide though, definitely, don't miss Abu Simbel.

ezel Mar 3rd, 2006 05:31 PM

We did the Egypt trip last summer with GCT and did Israel as pre trip and Jordan as post trip. We had a wonderful time however, if I did it again I would not take the Jordan Extension. You spend a lot of time in bus going from Ammen to Petra. In my humble opinion Petra is a must see and is the only thing worth the time and money in Jordan. You are better off doing that on your own as a one stop destination instead of spending time and money on the Jordan extension. Don't miss Abu Simbel. We didn't get to Sakkara and I'm afraid of heights so didn't do the balloon thing. Our guide in Egypt was fabulous!!!. Have a wonderful time.

cwn Mar 3rd, 2006 06:20 PM

HI,

WE were looking at simular trip before we went with a trip to Africa. We were going to do the Cario/Nile part with A&K, but were looking to do the Preta part on our own. The airfare Cairo to Amman was very cheap, the hotels reasonable and it seemed easy to arrange for a private/group tour/transportation to Preta from local hotels. You might look into that option before you give up on Preta. After all you are almost there.

katybird Mar 11th, 2006 05:59 PM

My husband and I did the GCT trip with the Jordan extension in 2002.We found Jordan very enjoyable. Petra and Jerash were unforgettable.Our guide, Anas, [Anis?] was just wonderful.Our group was small..only 17 people.
Take advantage of being there and go to Jordan. Will you ever get back? Think about it!

dadof3 Mar 30th, 2006 06:29 AM

Have you looked at this tour company:
http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trip.p...&code=ESW#

It sounds like what you ave looking for, without the single supplement.

Liquidsunshine Mar 30th, 2006 10:37 AM

Definitely don't miss Abu Simbel.

If you want to do Jordan by itself, Insight offers a week long tour at a reasonable price.