Grand Circle Egypt Tour

Jul 18th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Grand Circle Egypt Tour

Would appreciate feedack on the tour offered by Grand Circle, which includes the Egypt highlights and Nile cruise. Thank you in advance. gamorris
Jul 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM

I can't offer anything firsthand, but I have friends who have traveled just about everywhere--they take at least 4 trips a year of all types. They went with Grand Circle to Egypt last November and thought it was the best trip they had taken. I'm booked with OAT (GCT's small-group spinoff) to Egypt this November.
Jul 18th, 2005, 11:08 AM

We went to Egypt with OAT in Feb. I would recommend it over Grand Circle because of the smaller size of the group. It was one of the best trips we have taken.
Jul 18th, 2005, 12:05 PM

That's why I booked with OAT. I have no problem with group travel and actually enjoy being with other people, but I thought the small group would be nice.
Jul 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM

At the time my husband & I went to Egypt & Jordan with GCT Nov. 2003, OAT was not doing trips there. We really enjoyed the tour & the "boat" was just wonderful. There were 20 something in our group with our guide & I would have preferred a smaller group, but we had a great time. Jordan & especially Petra, was a highlight, too!
Jul 19th, 2005, 07:32 AM

In late March and early April, 2005, my wife and I traveled with OAT to Jordan and on to Egypt. Excellent in all respects, especially the closeness one achieves with small-group travel, the extra attention offered by our superb guide,and the smaller-sized Nile cruise ship. We ran into GCT groups along the way, but still preferred the small OAT groups.
Jul 19th, 2005, 08:00 AM

As long as we're on the subject, would you tell me how you dressed for dinner on the OAT cruise ship? Nothing was in the suggested packing list they sent regarding dressy clothing at all, but I have seen other posts about other Nile cruises where coats were worn for dinner. Neighbors who did the OAT trip said everything was very casual the entire trip.
Jul 19th, 2005, 09:05 AM

We did the Grand Circle Egypt tour in May 2004. Overall I'd recommend it, however, I found we experienced a lot of 'waiting.' Grand Circle's private boat holds about 130 passengers, which were divided into four groups and everywhere we went, we waited for all four groups to be assembled, loaded, including checking everyone's luggage, etc., for bus day trips or at airports. Obviously this was for our safety, however, it did seem as if lots of time was wasted.

If I were to do it again, think I'd choose OAT because of the group size. Egypt is totally fascinating--enjoy!
Jul 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM

bobbysue,

Went on the OAT trip to Egypt in Mar.. Dress was casual. Most didn't change for dinner. One night I did put on a skirt for dinner, just because I wanted to.

gamorris;

I talked to some people on the grand circle tour, while we were on our tour with OAT. Most of them seemed to really liked Grand circle. However I did talk to a couple that thought it was to slow of a pace for them,and wish they had gone with OAT instead. It sounded like OAT is a faster pace them Grand Circle along with a smaller group size.
I must add that I loved that trip. You won't reget going. Egypt is an amazing place.
Jul 19th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Dottie. I'm very excited. What you said about the dress is pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Actually our Nile cruise is only two days because the Esne Locks are closed for maintenance during part of our trip.
Jul 19th, 2005, 05:56 PM

My wife and I did Israel, Egypt Jordan with Grand Circle in Aug 2005. We usually don't do group tours but found the GCT organization wonderful. The guides were great especially in Egypt. Too me that can make or break a vacation. You need to know what you are seeing and its history. The only downside was the extension to Jordan where we seemed to waste a great deal of time traveling to the different sites. With the exception of Petra (which is a must see!) there is little to get excited about in Jordan. We are going with GCT again this August to Thailand and Angor Wat in Cambodia. Their prices are outstanding for the value! You won't be disappointed. Egypt is unreal!
Have a wonderful trip.
Jul 20th, 2005, 03:34 PM

hi, We went on the Egypt Grand Circle tour on May 21 thru June4, 2005. It was a great trip. We went with my two sisters and their husband. We felt good
knowing they were in charge of the group of 135. We were divided into 4 groups. My husband and I never have traveled over seas before. Never even had a passport. We had a very good travel guide with our group. He was to
smart and knew everyplace. The Nile Boat trip was great. If you have any
questions I'd be glad to help you. We are hoping to take another Grand Circle
trip. Maybe this time to Holland.

Search this Thread